This past weekend, the Michigan women’s track and field team split up to compete at two different road meets. Most of the athletes competed at the Jesse Owens Classic in Columbus, while the middle distance-runners headed to the Cardinal Invitational at Stanford. Both groups performed remarkably, with senior April Phillips and sophomore Lindsey Gallo turning in record-breaking performances in their respective events.

After breaking her own school record in the shot put last week, Phillips reset her school record in the hammer throw this week with a toss of 194-9. The senior tri-captain has been very impressive thus far, setting four Michigan throwing records this season. Phillips capped off the weekend by taking first place in the shot put, with a heave of 52-8.

Besides the two from Phillips, the Wolverines had 10 NCAA regional-qualifying

marks. Junior Melissa Bickett posted three of those marks, while fellow juniors Carly Knazze, Robin Landfair and Vera Simms each contributed two. Sophomore Sierra Hauser-Price had a personal-best finish in the 100-meter dash with a Regional qualifying time of 11.51.

“I though it was one of our better performances,” Michigan head coach James Henry said. “We are trying to improve from week to week.”

Gallo put on quite a show in the 3000-meter steeplechase, as she destroyed the

previous school record by more than a minute. Gallo, who ran the event for the

first time this season, crossed the finish line at 10:38, topping Anna Jones’

old record of 11:47.

“This was a big step forward for Lindsey,” Michigan distance coach Mike McGuire said. “I think this will give her the confidence to perform with the best in the country.”

Sophomore Andrea Parker, senior Rachel Sturtz and sophomore Theresa Feldkamp also posted regional-qualifying marks. Freshman Rebecca Walter ran a personal-best time in the 5,000-meter run with a regional-qualifying time of 16:18.

“This was our best meet of the season,” McGuire said. “We did a good job of competing. It was a great payoff for a lot of hard work throughout the season.”

Michigan will have its only outdoor home meet of the season at the Len Paddock Invitational this week.