NABLUS, West Bank (AP) Threatening bloody revenge, Islamic militants and supporters of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat marched side-by-side yesterday in the funeral procession for Hamas members killed in an Israeli commando raid, including one of the group”s top terror masterminds.

Hamas said it would unleash “all-out war” in retaliation for the killing of four members of its military wing, Izzedine al Qassam. Israel, in turn, said it would respond to a shooting spree by a Palestinian gunman who killed two women and wounded 14 bystanders in downtown Jerusalem on Tuesday.

Israel”s new military intelligence chief, Maj. Gen. Aharon Zeevi-Farkash, told legislators that Israel must brace for a wave of Palestinian attacks, “worse than what we have experienced so far in Israeli cities,” the Yediot Ahronot daily said.

In a phone call yesterday, Arafat asked Secretary of State Colin Powell to send U.S. envoy Anthony ZinniZinni back to the region. However, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said there are no such plans. Palestinian officials said it was the first such phone call in 15 days.

The four Hamas members were killed before dawn Tuesday in an Israeli commando raid on their hideout and explosives lab in the West Bank town of Nablus.

When the Hamas men realized they were surrounded by Israeli forces, they detonated a bomb that inadvertently blew open the door to the apartment, military sources said. The commandos killed the four with handguns equipped with silencers, according to Yediot. Three men were killed in the sleeping quarters and one in the bathroom.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.