DETROIT — Three Michigan hockey players took home accolades Thursday night at the CCHA awards show.

The event took place at Detroit’s Fox Theatre, where the league’s top players donned tuxedos and gathered to be recognized by their peers and coaches.

Freshman forward Alex Guptill, already named a member of the CCHA’s all-rookie team, earned the Rookie of the Year trophy. Guptill led the entire Wolverine roster in scoring.

The award was presented to Guptill by Michigan assistant coach Brian Wiseman. Wiseman is a former Rookie of the Year himself, being recognized early in his storied career as a Wolverine.

Senior captain Luke Glendening was honored as the league’s best defensive forward. Earlier Thursday, Glendening emphasized how he feels his defensive efforts shape him as a player and how Michigan coach Red Berenson doesn’t expect, but demands that his forwards learn how to play both ways. After being handed the award, Glendening, not known for his scoring prowess, poked fun at himself.

“I think they showed my only two goals (during the highlight reel),” Glendening said. “And one of them was an empty netter.”

Junior forward Chris Brown’s through-the-legs goal brought fans to their feet across the league and won the fan vote for CCHA Play of the Year. The massive screen above the stage prominently displayed the highlight of Brown’s undressing of Miami (Ohio) defenseman Will Weber.

Western Michigan’s Danny DeKeyser edged out Michigan senior defenseman Greg Pateryn for best defensive defenseman.

Berenson fell short as a nominee for his third-ever CCHA Coach of the Year award. Instead, the trophy was given to Ferris State’s Bob Daniels, who coached the Bulldogs to a regular-season league championship.

Though no Wolverine was nominated for the award, Michigan State defenseman Torey Krug earned the CCHA Most Valuable Player trophy.