Before Saturday’s exhibition against the Dominican Republic National Team, Michigan women’s basketball coach Sue Guevara was reluctant to speculate on what her starting lineup would be when the Wolverines tip off the regular season.

Against the Dominican Republic, Guevara sent out senior LeeAnn Bies at center, junior Jennifer Smith and sophomore Tabitha Pool at the forward spots and freshmen Niki Reams and Mie Burlin in the backcourt.

Starting two freshmen allowed Guevara to take advantage of a deep, veteran bench that included fifth-year senior Raina Goodlow and junior Stephanie Gandy.

While Guevara still has not officially named her starters for Friday’s opener against Creighton, she did indicate that she liked what she saw in some of her combinations during the exhibition.

“I like that starting group that we had,” Guevara said. “When I can bring in a Raina Goodlow, when I can bring in a Lauren Andrews, I can bring in a Stephanie Gandy coming off the bench, I think that was a nice lineup.”

Goodlow scored eight points and grabbed five boards in just 13 minutes of action. Gandy and Andrews totaled 21 and 18 minutes, respectively, and combined for eight points.

Guevara was also pleased with the defensive intensity of sophomore Sierra Hauser-Price, who contributed a pair of buckets, a block and a steal in six minutes off the bench.

“I told (Sierra) when we were walking off the court, ‘Listen, if you play like that in practice every day, I’m giving you more time,’ ” Guevara said.

But before you pencil in your scorecard, Guevara pointed out that she might still change her lineup for Friday.

“I can still play with some things,” she said. “But I liked that lineup right away.”

Sign here: Two recruits committed to play for Michigan next season during last week’s National Letter of Intent early signing period.

Leslie Crowley, 6-foot-2 forward from Lowell, and Kelly Helvey, a 5-foot-11 guard/forward from Toledo signed on the dotted line for Guevara.

Crowley – who lost part of her junior season and all of senior season due to injury – was named to the Michigan Class A all-state first team as a sophomore.

“Crowley has a good all-around game and is comfortable playing inside or out,” said Guevara. “She is also an excellent passer for a 6-foot-2 player.”

Entering her senior season, Helvey is coming off a junior campaign in which she averaged 13 points, five rebounds and three assists per game, earning her a nomination to play in the 2003 McDonald’s All-American game.

“She has excellent athleticism, which allows her to get to the hole,” Guevara said. “She can flat out shoot the basketball. She is a scorer.”