On Saturday, a day marred by hours of rainfall, the Michigan women’s golf team posted a two-round shot total of 616 at the University of Michigan Golf Course to lead the Wolverine Invitational by one stroke over Florida International.

There was heavy rain during the morning round and though it let up during the afternoon round, it did not seem to have much of an effect, as the Wolverines posted identical 308s in each round.

Sophomore Lauren Grogan led the Wolverines with a two-round total of 149 and trails the individual leader by a single stroke heading into Sunday. Sophomore Linda Luo had a total of 152, which places her sixth. Junior Yugene Lee shot a 155 to finish in 11th place on the day. Junior Alyssa Shimel rounded out the scoring with a 160 to finish in 21st place.

Junior Alicia Weber played as an individual and did not factor into the team scoring but placed fourth overall with a 151. Sophomore Devon Compton shot a 151 and shot a second-round tournament best of 71.

Though Grogan had a high individual placing in the first two rounds, it was the consistency of the team that shined. While Grogan wouldn’t concede that the rain made her or the team’s play worse, it did change the way that the rounds were played.

“I wouldn’t say it affected me negatively — we’ve played in it before,” said Grogan. “It made you focus a lot more today and you had to keep your concentration.”

Added Michigan head coach Cheryl Stacy: “They’re pretty tough and they’re used to some of the bad weather we’ve had in the past. But it is a mental grind when the weather’s bad like that.”

Heading into Sunday’s final round, Grogan has a chance to double by winning the team title and by winning the individual title with the best score.

Having the home course advantage figures to be very important for the Wolverines as the tournament could come down to the last few holes and knowing the courses better than the other competing schools could really help.

As for preparing for Sunday’s final round, the Wolverines’ are keeping it simple.

“I just need to focus on one shot at a time, focus on my own game,” said Grogan. “I just need to keep my concentration and have confidence out there.”

With the Wolverines paired with Florida International, who sits a single shot back, the final round on Sunday figures to be tightly contested.