The Interfraternity Council president at Penn State University, Abe Gitterman, recently issued a policy prohibiting all fraternity members from speaking to members of the press, the Daily Collegian reported.

In an e-mail sent to fraternity members, Gitterman said the policy is meant to protect “the credibility and images” of the fraternity system. The policy asks for the IFC executive board to be consulted before any interaction with the media.

Critics of the policy are concerned about the limitation it might impose on the freedom of speech. “Just because you are the president of a fraternal organization doesn’t give you the power to control what people can and can’t talk about,” said Melissa Melewsky, a media law attorney from the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association.

UNC student president killed

University of North Carolina’s student body president, Eve Marie Carson, was shot and killed last week in what appeared to be a random act of violence, The Associated Press reported.

Her body was found in the street early Wednesday morning, and her keys and wallet are missing. Her car was found a mile away. Carson had stayed home that night while her roommates went out, said Police Chief Brian Curran.

There was no sign of forced entry into her home, he said. There are no suspects.

Campus icebreaker banned

The University of Nebraska recently prohibited the playing of Assassin, a popular game often used as an icebreaker on college campuses, The Associated Press reported.

Juan Franco, the University’s vice chancellor of student affairs, said in a campus-wide e-mail that the game “is extremely inappropriate in this day and age in which we are all too familiar with the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University shootings.”

Fans of the game think the University is overreacting.

“The game is just a big-kid version of hide and seek. It makes you think, and it’s strategic,” said Lance Parke, an Appalachian State student.

Baptist ‘U’ Funding Halted

A $10 million state appropriation given to a Baptist university in Kentucky was found to be unconstitutional after the school suspended a student for coming out as gay on MySpace.com, the Chronicle of Higher Education reported.

Judge Roger Crittenden ruled that the appropriation was “a direct payment to a nonpublic religious school for educational purposes,” and is therefore unconstitutional.

The University of Cumberlands had intended to use the money to fund its new pharmacy school. It has 30 days to file an appeal.