This week, the University is going Greek.

During Greek Week — which lasts for one week starting this Monday — various fraternity and sorority chapters across campus will partake in community service and fundraising events including benefit concerts, a step show and a box car derby.

LSA junior Kelsey Kramer, a Greek Week representative for the Pi Beta Phi women’s fraternity, said Greek Week is demonstrative of the true purpose of Greek life on campus: philanthropy.

“I think a lot of people have this stereotype of Greek life being, everyone’s constantly partying,” Kramer said. “But for me at least that’s not what it’s all about.”

A sorority will team up with two to three fraternities during the week to host affiliate events and competitions. The teams will compete to raise money for charity, and this year there will be a holiday theme.

Though there are typically two to three affiliate events each year, this year there will be eight or nine, in which all of Greek life will participate. Money generated at the affiliate events will be donated to the specific host sorority or fraternity’s charity that they support throughout the year.

Though only Greek members can participate in the planing of Greek Week, anyone can attend the events.

“It’s not really publicized that other people can do that,” Engineering senior Alison Horn, also a Greek Week representative for Pi Beta Phi, said. “But they can.”

One of the week’s highlights is Mr. Greek Week, during which one member of a fraternity is coached by members of a sorority to compete in a Miss-America-like pageant. To include all the Greek councils on campus, there will also be a National Pan-Hellenic Council step show on Saturday for the first time in the history of Greek Week.

On Wednesday, the five chosen charities — 826 Michigan, the Judson Center, Home of New Vision, COTS Detroit and Miracle League — give short presentations on who they are and what they do, which Horn said is a culminating moment for all of those involved in Greek life.

“That’s a pretty powerful event,” Horn said. “It sums up why we have all of this, why we have Greek Week in general and how much of an impact the Greek community can have on these charities.”

“It’s going to be fun,” she said. “It’s just a way to goof off with some guys and girls in your chapter … and raise money for charity.”