By just talking to redshirt junior running back Kevin Grady today, you wouldn’t have the slightest idea he’s not back on track after an ACL tear sideline the rivals.com five-star player for all of last season.

FILE PHOTO
Redshirt junior running back Kevin Grady plead guilty Thursday to driving while intoxicated.

Grady started at running back in Michigan’s spring game in April. And he’s excited about the open competition for playing time under Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez.

“I really can’t put into words how happy I am, and excited I am, about being able to go and play in that stadium again,” Grady said.

But Grady was arrested June 30 near his hometown of Grand Rapids for driving while intoxicated, a charge he plead guilty to Thursday. Grady must either spend three days in jail or perform 24 hours of community service. He also must serve 12 months of probation and pay $3,290 in fines and fees.

Grady politely declined to talk about his legal issues.

“It’s nothing against anything you’re doing, it’s just something that, questions about what happened or what’s going on with that, you’ve really got to talk to Coach Rodriguez about,” Grady said.

Grady was practicing with the Wolverines’ third team earlier in fall practice despite being suspended by Rodriguez. Rodriguez said the running back was suspended from games,

Rodriguez said Grady’s status hadn’t changed since the beginning of fall camp. He also said he would release a list next week of which player wouldn’t play in the Aug. 30 opener against Utah and which players would be on the two-deep depth chart.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.