After inconsistent play at quarterback for much of the year, Michigan coach Lloyd Carr sat down starting quarterback John Navarre to see what Jermaine Gonzale could do. Gonzales quarterbacked Michigan to a touchdown, and led Michigan down the field for a field goal attempt, which was blocked.

Sophomore quarterback Jermaine Gonzales got his first meaningful action behind center in Saturday”s win over Minnesota..<br><br>DANNY MOLOSHOK/Daily

He finished the game with 20 yards rushing and 2-for-4 passing, good for only nine yards. While these numbers aren”t very impressive, Minnesota altered its defense and looked confused when he was in the game.

“When he came into the game, I thought they were going to do that double pass (that he ran against Illinois),” Minnesota coach Glen Mason said.

Said running back B.J. Askew: “He brings a lot to the table with his ability to move. When he”s in there, there”s more focus on him and what he can do. You don”t want him running loose.”

Gonzales looked bad on his two incomplete passes tight end Bill Seymour was open on both plays. Carr chalked the incompletions up to nerves.

“He”s a little bit nervous,” Carr said. “But overall, I”m impressed with the way he played.”

One-game season?: Michigan (5-1 Big Ten, 7-2 overall) and Ohio State (4-2 Big Ten, 6-3 overall) seem destined for a November 24-showdown that would settle the Big Ten title and automatic BCS bowl bid.

Michigan plays at Wisconsin this weekend. The Buckeyes have a home game with Illinois (5-1 Big Ten, 8-1 overall) this Saturday.

After a 4-3 start to open the season, the Buckeyes bowl prospects looked dim, especially considering the hardest portion of the season remained. But wins over Minnesota and Purdue and Michigan”s loss last week has the Buckeyes back in the Big Ten title contention.

If the Fighting Illini win out, they win at least a share of the title as well.

The Michigan-Ohio State game last year was for a portion of the Big Ten championship.

Sharp criticism: Before Carr addressed teh media about the game, he addressed former Michigan Daily writer and current Detroit Free Press columnist Drew Sharp”s column last week.

Sharp wrote that sophomore cornerback Jeremy LeSueur had a “brain freeze,” following Michigan”s 26-24 loss at Michigan State last week.

With about one minute left, the Spartans faced fourth-and-16, and ultimately threw an incomplete pass which should have all but guaranteed a Michigan victory. But LeSueur drew a personal foul and automatic first down on the play.

LeSueur”s play drew ridicule from the media all week.

“Mr. Sharp should know that Jeremy has a 13-year-old brother who was born with a severe brain injury,” Carr said. “And he should know his inexcusable use of “brain freeze” has resulted in ridicule and made Jeremy”s life this past week a living hell.

“His vicious, mean spirited attack is also an embarrassment to a great newspaper. Mr. Sharp should apologize personally and publicly.”

Sharp responded in The Detroit Free Press: “I had no idea about his family.”

O” captain my captain: Fifth-year senior Jeremy Miller was the honorary captain Saturday. Shawn Thompson and Eric Brackins are the team”s two weekly captains, and every week, a special team”s player is honored by the coaching staff to captain the team as well.

“It was a goal of mine at the begining of the year to be a captain,” Miller said.

Miller was honored by the coaches for his consistent play and leadership ability.