What’s in a gnome? It could be glass, ceramic or just plain plastic. Or those gnomes could be sworn enemies taking part in an ages-long battle, in which case they’re probably composed purely of bitterness and revenge. While a bit kitschy, “Gnomeo & Juliet” actually provides a good introduction to the next generation of Shakespeare lovers.

“Gnomeo & Juliet”

At Quality 16 and Rave
Walt Disney Pictures

In fair Verona where we lay our scene (or, in some English suburb) two families are divided by a feud and one wall of their British rowhouse. However, the story centers not on the actual hate-filled Capulets and the Montagues, but rather on the feud between the Red and Blue gnomes who inhabit their backyards.

The unprecedentedly sexy Gnomeo (James McAvoy, “Wanted”), the son of the Blue ruler-queen Lady Bluebury (Maggie Smith, “Harry Potter”), has been laden with the task of keeping the Reds at bay ever since his father was tragically smashed. Accordingly, it seems necessary for the deliciously Scottish-accented Gnomeo to engage with the loathsome Red named Tybalt (Jason Statham, “The Mechanic”) in a cheese-tastic lawnmower race, resulting in the destruction of the Blues’ lawnmower. This action provides the catalyst for the tension between the warring gnome colonies for the rest of the film.

Meanwhile, on the Red side, all Juliet (Emily Blunt, “The Devil Wears Prada”) wants is to have a little fun. When she spies a particularly lovely flower growing in a greenhouse across the alley, she resolves to sneak out of the confines of the backyard no matter how her father Lord Redbrick (Michael Caine, “Inception”) tries to deter her. When a plot by the Blues for revenge over their broken lawnmower goes sour, Gnomeo finds himself flung into the very same greenhouse as Juliet and, well, the film is pretty straightforward from there.

But will the star-crossed lovers be able to overcome the tension between their families or, better yet, evade the tragic deaths which undoubtedly await them? Will they perish in each others’ arms, realizing that their love will only have a chance in the next life? Let’s answer these burning questions with another query: Is this a Disney movie?

The answer is yes, it is a Disney movie. Without spoiling the ending for the droves of University students that will surely flock to the theaters, it seems essential to warn that Kleenex is unnecessary.

While a good introduction to Shakespeare, the film has one downfall — its lack of respect for the classic tragedy. Between savage, destructive lawnmowers, brainless lines like “Let’s kick some grass” and the whole concept of a Shakespearean adaptation told through gnomes, it seems that some archetypal messages of love and loss are forgotten in the script. However, remastered Elton John songs like “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart,” “Crocodile Rock” and the newly minted Elton John-Lady Gaga track “Hello Hello” provide a nice distraction from the mindlessness for the older-than-eight crowd. Additionally, utterly hilarious lines from a Spanish-accented pink flamingo named Featherstone (Jim Cummings, “The Princess and the Frog”) and Juliet’s sidekick, Nanette (Ashley Jensen, TV’s “Ugly Betty”) provide some breathers from the sometimes-tedious plot. Audiences should also look out for references to other Shakespearean plays, especially a particularly well handled proclamation of the famous line, “Out, damned spot!” by Juliet early on in the film.

Generally speaking, this is a cute film. Its intent is to introduce Shakespeare, which it does — moderately — and to tell the story to children in a way that’s relatable. While it might come across as gratuitous and corny at times, its essential message is a timeless one: Fight for true love, because it doesn’t come around too often.