For those who are less dedicated to their TV programs: “Glee” is still, in fact, airing. Last week, Ryan Murphy moved the entire storyline to New York and cut the McKinley plot lines completely. It was the best move the series could make. This week’s episode, “Bash,” reminds viewers why they still watch — a combination of ridiculous and touching drama that only “Glee” can truly produce.

Glee

B+
FOX
Tuesdays 8/7 c

Rachel (Lea Michele, “New Year’s Eve”) exudes diva and it’s awesome. Long gone are the days of polite, meek Rachel. In this episode, Rachel drops out of the New York Academy of Dramatic Arts, all while looking flawless, because she believes the school is holding her from her dreams. While her logic may be questionable and her attitude could be perceived as agitating, she is unapologetic and driven. She is trying her hand at growing up.

Gay-bashing may be one of the few dark subjects “Glee” has avoided until this point. While we saw Kurt (Chris Colfer, “Struck by Lightning”) bullied in high school, nothing came close to the outright violence demonstrated this week. At the beginning of the episode, the characters went to a vigil for their neighbor’s gay friend who was assaulted and it seemed confused and unrelated to the plot. That is, until Kurt tried to stop punks beating up a gay man in an alleyway. Who would have guessed Kurt had it in him? As a bonus, there was a touching scene with Kurt’s dad which always should rank in everyone’s favorite “Glee” moments.

“Glee” needed to move to New York seasons ago. It seems that the show is finally on a long overdue upswing. Ryan Murphy should consider getting rid of Artie (Kevin McHale “Last Friday Night”), the one character who did not deserve to have a continued storyline in New York, but otherwise, everything is moving towards a place that should make “Glee” fans rejoice.