After a fantasy-filled Britney Spears episode, “Glee” returned this week with a tribute to faith: “Grilled Cheesus.” When Finn (Cory Monteith) finds Jesus on his grilled cheese sandwich, New Directions starts a dialogue on God and the role of religion. Though many glee clubbers find comfort in the divine, Kurt (Chris Colfer) stands alone despite his friends’ dismay and his comatose father.

“Glee” season two

“Grilled Cheesus”
Fox

“Glee” has a hard time straddling the line between happy-go-lucky fun and real emotional issues, but its tough episodes tend to be the best. “Grilled Cheesus” will join “Home” and “Wheels” as the episodes with heart. For once, Rachel (Lea Michelle) isn’t self-absorbed as she sings “Papa, Can You Hear Me?” at Burt Hummel’s (Mike O’Malley) bedside. With this and a gospel song, “Glee” seems to moving away from campy fantasy musical numbers, giving them actual context.

Still, the season is three episodes in and the story has yet to progress past the first episode when new characters were introduced. The gimmicky Britney Spears episode made for great music and this provocative religious episode gave the series some soul, but if it chugs along without addressing its new characters, we’ll forget why we’re watching.