Confident after a strong start to the 2003 season, the Michigan women’s track and field team walked into Eastern Michigan’s gym on Friday hoping for its second team victory in as many meets. And that is what it got.

The Wolverines stampeded to victoryat the Michigan Intercollegiate hosted by the Eagles. Michigan placed first out of five teams, finishing with 187 points.

The Wolverines had a monstrous day in the distance events. Sophomore Lindsay Gallo won the 3,000-meter run in her first time running the event this season. But Gallo was not surprised with her time because she had been doing well in practice.

“I ran how I expected to run,” Gallo said.

In the mile, freshman Katie Erdman and sophomore Andrea Parker captured first and second place. Erdman was happy with how she and Parker ran.

“It was a good race for both of us,” Erdman said.

In the 800-meter run, again, the Wolverines finished in first and second place. This time, senior Rachel Sturtz and sophomore Theresa Feldkamp led the way, both running season-best times. Feldkamp said she wouldn’t expect anything else than a first place finish from Sturtz. While Feldkamp was fine with finishing second, she certainly will not become complacent. She has worked hard in practice and she says that she “expects to run better as the season goes on.”

Following the trend in the distance events was freshman Amy Barker, who won the 5,000-meter run.