In celebration of Michigan-Ohio State Week, we scoured the Daily archives to find game coverage of seminal Michigan wins in the series. Enjoy this quirky story about Michigan’s win in 1902, one of Fielding Yost’s famous “Point A Minute” teams.

What will we do,
What will we do,
We’ll rub it into O. S. U.
That’s what we’ll do.

Thus sang the Michigan rooters yesterday afternoon in answer to the old Wah-hoo yell raised proudly by 2,000 wearers of the scarlet and gray.

And rub it in they did with both hands and feet by the absolutely unnhoped for score of 86 to 0.

The Ohio rooters began to arrive at 9:30 a. m. and special train followed special train at short intervals until the whole city was thronged with the excursionists. They overran the campus in all directions and penetrated into every building including the Anatomical Laboratory.

Shortly after 1 o’clock the crowd began to stream out toward Ferry Field and by a quarter past two every inch of available room on the big stands and bleachers was occupied, the late comers being forced to stand up along the wire fences enclosing the field.

The O. S. U. rooters filled the whole east half of the south bleachers and part of the grand stand while the supporters of Michigan swarmed on both sides of the field.

The rooting before the game was by far the best ever heard on Ferry Field, song answering song, and yell answering yell in never ending succession. Michigan seemed to have a shade the best of it principally on account of their forces being on both sides of the field where the could applaud each others efforts.

The O. S. U. band and the Michigan band took turns at working up the enthusiasm and at 2:15, when the Michigan men trotted on the field, followed almost at once by the Buckeyes the excitement was at the highest pitch.

The halves agreed upon were 35 and 25 minutes. O. S. U. won the toss and chose to defend the east goal.

Michigan having had no difficulty in stopping the visitors rushes decided to punt at () expecting to win on an exchange of punts or else regain the ball on downs and so advance more rapidly than by a rushing game.

McLaren, the veteran half-back, who had grown gray in his service on the O. S. U. team, became obstreperous at this juncture and it looked for a minute as though there would be a little trouble but Hoagland warned him for rough playing and Hinkey gave a short lecture to the two captains and the play went on.

As usual Sweeley punted at once and as usual the Ohians were held for downs. While Cartet was getting his hand bandaged, Weeks called for a play and it went just the same with only 10 men in the line-up…

O. S. U. has come and gone and Michigan is eighty-six more points to the good. We won the game fairly and squarely, and every point was contested freely. But the overwhelming victory was almost as much of a surprise to Michigan as to Ohio State. We had expected victory, but had hardly hoped for a landslide.

This decidedly removes all doubts as to the team being in the best of shape next Saturday. The apparent slump of a week or so has done the team a great deal more good than a week of ordinary practice. It has brought the team and the rooters to a thorough realization of the fact that the stiffest kind of work and absolute unity must be the price of the championship. This spirit pervaded the team yesterday, and the rooters did their full share in encouraging them.

The rooting was much better yesterday than it has been at any time this year, a fact due in great measure, no doubt, to the successful singing.