Since the early stages of his recruitment, all Michigan fans heard about Matt Vogrich was that the kid had one of the smoothest jump shots in the Midwest.

“Oh, he can shoot it,” Zack Novak said before the Wayne State game. “No question about it, he can really shoot.”

On Saturday, Vogrich showed it.

The freshman went 5-for-5 from beyond the arc, at times stepping back to fire from NBA range, and finished with 15 points in Michigan’s 97-50 win against Northern Michigan.

“I was just excited when I hit the first one, just kind of relieved to make my first shot,” Vogrich said. “Manny (Harris) found me and I just made the open looks.”

Vogrich’s assault from the 3-point line began with six minutes to play in the first half. In just under two minutes, he made three triples, each one bringing raucous cheers from the Maize Rage student section. He got his last two 3-pointers near the end of the second half, and his last one came on Harris’s triple-double-solidifying assist.

After the freshman’s unspectacular performance in Michigan’s exhibition win against Wayne State, Michigan coach John Beilein said Vogrich was putting in extra time on his shot to make sure he was ready for the Wolverines’ first official game.

“He’s really been working extra hard on his shot over the last week,” Beilein said. “When Manny’s putting them right there, (Vogrich) has an easy job to do, just shoot it.”

Beilein is known for recruiting pinpoint 3-point shooters. If Vogrich can keep hitting all season, he would be able to shoulder some of the scoring load to free up Harris and senior DeShawn Sims.

Vogrich wasn’t the only one who provided a scoring boost. Michigan had five players finish in double digits: Harris, Sims, freshman Darius Morris, redshirt senior Zack Gibson and Vogrich.

Morris said he was happy for his fellow freshman.

“We know Vogrich can shoot, but for anybody to go 5-for-5, that’s amazing,” Morris said. “Class of 2013, I was happy to see my other freshman out there doing his thing.”

Gibson also had a good offensive night, himself going 5-for-5 from the field. Most of his points came in the paint, but he also showed off a midrange fallaway.

“It felt good,” Gibson said. “Everything was flowing. I made shots. I really felt good out there.”

But the focus was still on Vogrich’s 5-for-5.

“He did a great job shooting the ball,” Gibson said. “His teammates found him and he knocked them down.”