Although freshman enrollment has decreased significantly this year, total student body enrollment has gone up, University officials announced yesterday.

The fall 2002 admissions figures released yesterday by the University indicate total enrollment has increased by 1.9 percent since last year, and that the total number of underrepresented minorities has also increased.

The freshman class has 353 fewer students than last year, at 5,187.

In compiling total enrollment numbers, the University includes new freshmen, transfers, graduate students and student retention.

Peterson said the reduction in the number of freshmen enrolled is a result of the University’s attempt to stabilize the size of undergraduate enrollment. She said in the last three years, freshman enrollment numbers have exceeded the norm.

“Normally, our enrollment target is closer to 5,200,” University spokeswoman Julie Peterson said, adding that this year’s target of 5,150 freshman students was part of a planned decline in terms of the University’s long-term enrollment management.

The number of black students enrolled has gone from 9.4 percent to 8.9 percent, according to Peterson. Asian American student enrollment also dropped significantly.

Although the number of black freshman students enrolled is down, Peterson noted an increase in enrolled Hispanic and Native American freshman students.

“Overall, our minority enrollment has remained strong,” Peterson said.

Paul Courant, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, said the overall enrollment numbers indicate the University has maintained its reputation as an excellent public university, and it is growing to meet the demands of prospective students.

“We are a high-quality institution with a lot of demand to study here,” he said. “I think that’s good news.”

Courant said students’ strong desire to attend the University, combined with the increase of college-aged students nationally, have produced this overall enrollment increase.

Despite the increase in the total number of underrepresented minorities enrolled, Courant said admissions standards have not changed.

“Our goal is to admit the best class we can admit,” he said. “Diversity is a very important part of that.”

Courant added the year-to-year numbers are positive. Although growth makes more things possible, he said, University admissions numbers may have peaked.

“I don’t see how we’re going to get much bigger,” Courant said. “We’re pretty much full.”

Lester Monts, senior vice provost for academic affairs, said it is the task of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to recruit a freshman class that is not only academically qualified, but also very diverse.

“Diversity is one of the hallmarks of the University of Michigan,” he said. “It is essential in the modern academy, and it helps the University maintain its standard of excellence.”

“These numbers tell us that they achieved their objectives,” Monts said.

Given the recent publicity the University has received regarding its admissions lawsuits, Monts said labeling University admissions policies as “race-based” tends to ignore the other factors used to select new students.

“Race is one of many factors used in this process,” he said. “Diversity was an institutional priority before the lawsuits, and it will remain so once decisions are rendered.”

Monts added this year’s numbers are comparable to those announced by the University in the past, but they surpass those of many of many Big Ten peer institutions. He said this is an indicator of the University’s enrollment success.

“We are a richly robust academic institution that values and fosters racial and ethnic diversity in its student population,” Monts said.

Demographic trends have also played a role in the total enrollment increase, Peterson said. She said, given the current economic status, more students are opting to go back to school.

“A university education becomes more attractive when students don’t have a job,” Peterson said. “Our business continues despite the economy.”

‘U’ in numbers: Enrollment figures for Fall 2002

Class of 2006

Race, ethnicity Number

or citizenship

Black 443

Hispanic 305

Native American 53

Asian American 588

White 3,208

No indication/other 401

International students 189

Total 5,187

Overall undergraduate enrollment

Race, ethnicity Number

or citizenship

Black 1,968

Hispanic 1,102

Native American 187

Asian American 3,020

White 15,560

No indication/other 1,523

International students 1,112

Total 24,472

SOURCE: University News and Information Services