State Senators Rebekah Warren (D-Washtenaw), Bert Johnson (D-Wayne), Gretchen Whitmer (D-Ingham) and Virgil Smith (D-Wayne) sponsored four pieces of legislation Wednesday that would change the state’s laws in favor of marriage equality.

Three bills would pertain to marriage equality issues within the state while a fourth bill would advocate the repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act — a statute that places larges limitations on federal support of same-sex marriage.

Michigan currently bans same-sex marriage under a constitutional amendment passed in 2004. One resolution, Senate Resolution 64, would allow voters to vote and repeal the amendment.

In 2011, Republican Gov. Rick Snyder’s administration banned benefits for domestic partnership except for the University system, which heavily petitioned for an exception.

Emily Dievendorf, managing director of Equality Michigan, said that the legislation supporting marriage equality is essential to treating LGBT citizens fairly and representing the interests of Michigan residents.

“Until we have marriage equality, we have the LGBT community being treated as second class citizens and not being granted true equality under the law,” Dievendorf said in the release. “In the United States we expect to be treated as equal under the law and in Michigan because of our current constitutional amendment that is absolutely not the case.”

Dievendorf added that she hoped the Republican-dominated senate would move forward with these bills.

“If our Republican leadership truly wanted to represent the values and interest of Michigan citizens they certainty would move the legislation forward,” Dievendorf said in the release.

LSA junior Mary Bridget Lee, communications director of the University’s College Democrats, said she was confident in the marriage equality bill.

“The College Democrats are all for Michigan passing marriage equality,” Lee said. “Marriage equality is just one of the very first basic steps that we can make towards total LGBT equality. It’s important to have this sort of thing in the law to show that we are a country who believes in equality for everyone. “

The legislation comes in the wake of a recent poll by the Glengariff group that shows increasing support by Michigan residents for the bill. 56.6 percent of Michigan residents now support marriage equality, a 10 percent increase from the previous year.

However LSA junior Victoria Galanty, a spokesperson for the University’s College Republicans, wrote in an e-mail interview that the bills might have unintended consequences.

“I think that the recent introduction of the marriage equality bill will allow for a less adequate appraisal of the implications it may have on society,” Galanty wrote.

She added that many Michigan residents are not looped in on a discussion of what is being proposed and what other options are.

Correction appended: A previous version of this article misspelled Victoria Galanty’s last name.