On Saturday, Michigan women’s basketball senior forward Carmen Reynolds was honored for surpassing the 1,000-point milestone for in career.

Now imagine someone doing that twice in the same amount of time.

That’s what former women’s basketball player Diane Dietz accomplished in her four years in Ann Arbor.

Dietz, who played during the 1979-82 seasons, is currently the Wolverines’ all-time leading scorer with 2,076 points. She also holds the program record for career field goals made and points per game in a season, and held the Big Ten record for points in a single game (45) for 22 years.

Her accolades extend beyond the Crisler Center. Dietz was recognized as an All-American and was inducted into the Academic All-American Hall of Fame in 2009. She was also the first woman inducted into the Michigan Athletic Hall of Honor.

To put this in perspective, Title IX — which made athletic departments legally required to provide equal opportunities for women — was passed in 1972. The first varsity women’s basketball team at Michigan competed in the 1973-74 season, just five years before Dietz arrived on campus.

Her career point total, 2,076, has sat atop the record books for 30 years, and nobody has even come close to matching her production. Jennifer Smith, the closest player, sits 362 points behind Dietz.

She’s also been successful in life after Michigan. Off the court, Dietz has had an excellent career in media policies, which recently landed her a job with the Big Ten as its Chief Communications Officer. Dietz has toured all 12 schools and their athletic facilities. This past weekend, she got a chance to tour the new Player Development Center and Crisler Center.

When asked how it feels to return to her alma mater and see the progression of the program and facilities, Dietz said she got emotional.

“I walked through (the PDC) yesterday for the first time, and was completely blown away,” Dietz said. “I’m sure you’ve heard that from everybody. I did tour all the facilities this past fall … and it’s right there with the (others in the Big Ten). I think everybody here should be really excited about that.”

The new facilities in the PDC include renovated locker rooms for both the men’s and women’s basketball teams, game-film viewing areas and two full practice courts.

Though the new facilities give each team its own space, Dietz noted that the proximity of multiple teams in the old arena during her years allowed for a sense of family between them.

“There are a lot of good things about (having multiple teams in a single facility),” Dietz said. “If you think about your own families, everybody wants to be in a bigger home with their own bedroom, but when you go to the cottage and everybody’s walking all over each other, there’s something warm and endearing about that.

“We had that. So I did have to step over (former Michigan men’s basketball player) Phil Hubbard on my way to the locker room, and the wrestlers would crawl through our gym to get to back their pit in the back of Crisler Arena. And we were all really, really close because of that.”

Though she enjoyed the family atmosphere of the old Crisler Arena, she said that the current players will enjoy the up-to-date features of the new facilities.

Dietz was present for the dedication of the new Crisler Center this past weekend and got to attend the women’s game against Ohio State — Michigan’s third consecutive victory over its rival.

“I liked the win,” she said. “I was sitting there with about three minutes left in the game and I said ‘Ohio State’s got a lot more in the tank. This could get close.’ But I was pleasantly surprised that Michigan had a lot more in their tank, too. They did everything they needed to do in the last few minutes of that game to win it.”

With the win, the Wolverines moved to 13-3 and are in position to set the program’s record for most wins in a season.

“I think I could see signs of (a breakout season) last year, and (I’m) happy that what we saw turned out to be true, because they’re killing it,” Dietz said.

When asked about current head coach Kevin Borseth, she lit up.

“I think he’s amazing. He’s doing a fantastic job — and doing it right,” Dietz said.