LIVONIA — Red, white and blue streamers, patriotic tinsel and signs supporting Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney adorned the white-washed walls of the GOP campaign office in Livonia where former Florida Governor Jeb Bush visited Tuesday.

More than 150 supporters and GOP volunteers, some spilling out of the narrow office space and onto the sidewalk, gathered in the single-room office to hear Bush speak. Bush urged attendees to continue supporting Romney in a campaign he described as winnable in Michigan and across the nation, while lambasting President Barack Obama’s economic policies.

Before he began his speech, Bush took time to recognize the eleventh anniversary of 9/11 and thanked the men and women currently serving in the nation’s armed forces.

“We’re still at war, there are people that hate our values, want to destroy our way of life and this is not a political issue … I for one am just grateful for the people in uniform that are keeping us free and are protecting us,” he said.

After observing a moment of silence, Bush spent little time before launching into criticisms of the Obama administration, accusing the president of making the nation “worse, not better.”

However, the brother of former U.S. president George W. Bush and the son of former president George H. W. Bush stressed the importance of limiting criticism to policies, not people.

“I’ve had a front row seat watching presidents and I don’t like it when they attacked my brother, I don’t like it when they attacked my dad,” Bush said. “Campaigns should be about big things and big ideas. I don’t like it when we personalize it and trivialize it.”

Bush also criticized several tenets of the president’s economic policy and contrasted him with Romney, whom Bush said has much needed business acumen.

“Mitt Romney was made for this job,” he said. “He’s a practical man; he’s actually done things in the real world.”

Bush said specifically the argument surrounding wealth distribution is flawed.

“The debate shouldn’t be that we want to redistribute wealth. The debate ought to be how do you create a climate where more prosperity and more wealth is created where everybody has a chance to be successful,” Bush said.

He warned attendees that increasing the government’s debt and continuing to borrow from countries such as China would lead to hyperinflation and high interest rates, crippling America’s future leaders.

“It is possible for the first time in American history, the next generation will have less opportunities than what was afforded the previous one,” he said. “I know that you all know that that’s not the kind of America that we want.”

He added that the Obama administration has made it challenging for Americans to success through unnecessary regulations and the implementation of policies that fail to encourage growth.

“The rest of the world is not nearly as complacent as we are,” Bush said. “And it’s time to have political leaders that lift our spirits up and bring the energy and vitality to making policy so that we can restore American greatness.”

He ended the 10-minute speech by urging volunteers and supporters to continue campaigning for the final two months of the presidential election.

“This is going to be a close election,” he said. “Michigan is going to be a close election.”