An anonymous donor will give the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy a $3 million gift to establish a Life Sciences Policy Center, the University announced yesterday.

The donation is the largest ever received by the school.

“I”m very excited about the prospect of building a component of the Ford School that deals with life sciences policy,” Public Policy Dean Rebecca Blank said in a written statement.

The donor, whose name will not be announced, told University officials that the gift is intended to develop a collaboration between public policy resources already on campus and the life sciences programs currently in development.

“Technology breakthroughs in life sciences promise to transform our lives and social institutions even more profoundly than the information technology revolution,” the donor said.

“These events also promise to explode the number of new public policy issues requiring thoughtful, creative and disciplined analysis.”

Although the anonymous gift will help establish the new Life Sciences Policy Center, Public Policy Development Director Beth Johnson said a total of $10 million will be necessary to completely fund the project.

The gift brings the total amount raised during the ongoing Public Policy fundraising campaign to $12 million. The school hopes to raise $30 million for faculty endowments and to construct an addition to Lorch Hall.

“This gift enables us to take the lead among other policy schools in this type of work,” Blank said. “We are extremely grateful to the donor for having the foresight and imagination to come forward to establish such an important center at the Ford School.”