For many Americans, Sundays consist of one thing and one thing only: football. But watching a show about the wives of football players probably isn’t something on many football fans’ agendas — and for good reason. VH1’s premiere of “Football Wives” last Sunday was an insult to the sport without a single aspect to redeem it.

“Football Wives”

Sundays at 10:30 p.m.
VH1

“Football Wives,” as its name implies, follows the lives of the wives of football players as they go out together. The premiere revolved around scenes of the wives eating out and going to bible study. If you’re looking for more substance than that, you’re watching the wrong channel. The entire 30 minutes only involved introducing the women and the lavish lives they think they lead, along with some borderline catfights over someone leaving bible study early.

You would think that a group of affluent women married to football players would have a little more drama that. Watching the group of squabbling, well-to-do women feels like finding the new “Real Housewives of Football.” While the serious and potentially deep discussion of their husbands’ vulnerability to severe injury on the football field did come up at one point, it was immediately dismissed and lost into the abyss that was the rest of the show.

When we think of football, we think of big names like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If you’re hoping to somehow catch more than a glimpse of them on the show, you’re out of luck. Aside from Deion Sanders, the only players we get to see are in semi-pro leagues throughout the country or are NFL special-teams players. No offense to the kickers and punters out there, but those are among the least interesting positions on a football team … so what could possibly make watching their wives any more interesting?

This is quite possibly the phoniest group of women to have ever appeared on television. Not only is every on-screen moment painful to watch, but they love throwing the one thing they always fall back on in the audience’s face: money. Watching this show brings back memories of “My Super Sweet 16.” There are few things more aggravating for a viewer than watching celebrities flaunt how much money they have and how special they think it makes them.

Simply put, there is no reason for this show to be on TV. It combines some of the worst aspects of other shows into a wasteful and painful 30 minutes. If you want to watch something football-related on your Sunday evenings, stick with the original programming: actual “Sunday Night Football.”