Junior Robin Landfair’s exceptional performance in the 100-meter hurdles highlighted a successful weekend for the Michigan women’s track and field team.

Five Wolverines earned a total of seven NCAA regional qualifying marks at the Sea Ray Relays in Knoxville, Tenn.

“The team looked a little tired, but it’s part of the season,” Michigan coach James Henry said. “Overall we competed well. We’ve been fairly consistent so far.”

Landfair set a new school record in the event by the smallest of margins: one one-hundredth of a second. Her regional qualifying time of 13:65 helped her earn a fourth-place finish and topped the old record of 13:66, set by Tasha Phillips (1999-2001) in the 2000 season.

“I had no idea that I would run the kind of time that I did,” Landfair said. “After I saw the official time, I was excited. It took a while for it to actually sink in.”

Landfair is the second Michigan hurdler this year to break a school record; sophomore Vera Simms set a new record in the 400-meter hurdles at the Yellow Jacket Invitational last month. This past weekend, Simms ran a regional qualifying time of 59.19 in the 400-meter hurdles.

In her first outdoor competition of the 2003 season, freshman Rebecca Walter finished first in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 16:38, which was an NCAA regional qualifying time. Walter also helped pace the 4×800-meter relay team to a first-place finish in 8:48.

On the field, the throwers were impressive, as usual. Senior tri-captain April Phillips and junior Melissa Bickett earned regional qualifying marks in the shot put with throws of 51′-5 34” and 48′-11”, respectively. Phillips, Bickett and Simms have previously earned qualifying marks this season.

“There were a few performances that stood out,” Henry said. “Those athletes that earned qualifying marks are consistently doing well.”