The prospect of being seen on television for a split second doesn’t excite LSA senior Jeff Zebrowski anymore. As part of the Michigan Marching Band, he knows there’s always a chance he’ll be shown while the band is playing at a televised football game.

ZACHARY MEISNER/Daily
The future Family Feud contestants shop for Michigan apparel at Steve and Barry’s on State Street.

“Being in the marching band, I’ve been on TV before, but I didn’t know it,” he said. “Not knowing that you’re on TV is one thing, but knowing that you’re going to be on completely changes everything.”

Zebrowski will experience the difference about a month from now when he and four other University students compete on the College Edition of “Family Feud,” the fabled daytime game show. He and his teammates — LSA juniors Dele Ajagbe and Byron Conway, Ross School of Business junior Marisa Meddin and Business School senior Franklin Shaddy — will fly to Hollywood to tape a show scheduled to air Nov. 10. Taping begins tomorrow.

The 32-year-old show usually pits two families against each other for a half-hour. For the College Edition, though, the University’s team will compete against teams from other colleges, including Harvard University, the University of Texas and rival Ohio State University.

The show requires each team to guess the most popular answer to surveys given to 100 people. The survey topics range from most popular items to take on vacation to the first body part that gets dried when you get out of the shower.

Ajagbe said of all the schools, she’s looking forward to beating Harvard the most.

“We are the Leaders and the Best, so I have faith that we can take down any school, but Harvard in particular makes me mad,” she said jokingly.
“They’re the Michigan of the East right? So we’re going to take them down.”

Conway said he has no specific target. He’s just looking to win.

“I’m very competitive, so it could be a Holy Socialite team of all female nuns and I would want to beat them,” he said.

Conway said his competitive edge stems from his high school days, when he watched “Family Feud” every day.

“I was always one of those people that was like ‘I would know the answer if I was on there,’ but in the back of my mind I knew I would be too nervous to say the answer so I never really wanted to be on the show,” he said. “But when the opportunity presented itself, I was like, ‘Hey, why not take it?’ I look dumb at home, I might as well look dumb on TV.”

Other members of the team, all of whom were less familiar with the show than Conway, said they’ve prepared for their TV appearance by playing the game online and watching the show more often.

On Wednesday night, though, figuring out what the “survey says” was far from the team’s mind. Instead, they focused on choosing the right outfits.

“(We’re looking for) anything that reps Michigan all the way but we’re going to look cute at the same time,” said Ajagbe, adding that the team planned to dress casually.

Ajagbe had second thoughts about the team’s attire when she got a call from the show’s casting director saying that the Texas team planned to wear dresses. Before that, Ajagbe said, the Michigan team was going to buy simple maize and blue T-shirts.

She and her teammates compromised, buying the school-colored T-shirts and getting ties for each male team member.

“I don’t want to look like a country bumpkin,” Ajagbe said.
Zebrowski, who said he can’t wait for the show to air, is thinking about planning a watch party for the night his team’s episode comes on.

“What about just renting out the Big House and inviting everyone we know?” he said.