The Detroit Artists Market (DAM) has a long, rich history of fostering young artists. As the name suggests, local Detroit artists often have the opportunity to showcase their work in this forum as an experience away from the more traditional commercial galleries. This week, the DAM highlights eleven artists’ works over the course of five days in a new and continuous set of gallery openings, aptly named “Five Shows in Five Days.”

“Openings, by nature, are highly charged events,” said Phillip Burke, co-curator and host of the “Five Shows” gallery. “So the gallery becomes the center of that excitement, which increases with having five consecutive openings.” Together with Roe Peterhans, Burke developed the concept for the shows: A series of gallery openings, which begin and end the artists’ exhibitions all in one night. The gallery is specifically designed as a rather small, intimate space so the audience can enter off the street, view the entire body of work and exit easily. Because the shows span a workweek, they seek to facilitate the audience’s busy schedules with this set-up.

But the audience is also considered an integral part of each show. Amanda Wiles, one of the featured artists, notes, “It’s interesting in that (Five Shows) involves much participation from the audience. They almost need to go all of the nights to really get the full effect of the show.”

The artists chosen to participate in “Five Shows” draw from their diverse background to create their works, which seems to accentuate the differences in each night’s pairing. The shows, in general, focus on a theme of contrasts, “which creates a sense of discovery for both artist and viewer,” the curators observe.

The event is free to the public, and the casual atmosphere encourages everyone to attend. “Five Shows in Five Days” hopes to keep up with the fast-paced world and the audience’s jam-packed schedules with its revolving spotlight accentuating a new artist and a new construction every night.

Five Shows in Five Days

Tuesday – Thursday 6 – 9 p.m.

Friday 6 – 11 p.m.

Free of charge

At the Detroit Artists Market