Six University students were displaced from their rooms Monday night after a fire broke out in the Mary Markley Residence Hall.

The Ann Arbor Fire Department responded to the call at about 10:40 p.m., but by that time the fire had already been contained by the hall’s sprinkler system, officials said. No one was injured.

University Housing Director Peter Logan said the fire is believed to have started when a small electric fan short-circuited in a room on the 6th floor of Fisher House.

Housing staff immediately evacuated about 350 students who were still in the hall over fall break.

Though most people were allowed back in their rooms within an hour, six students were forced to relocate for the night because of significant water damage to their rooms, Logan said.

The residence hall sustained no smoke damage beyond the room where the fire started, but many rooms on the 4th, 5th and 6th floor experienced water damage, Logan said.

“It was approximately 33 rooms and a lounge that had had either significant or even minor water infiltration,” Logan said. “The water cleanup crew worked through the remainder of the morning. They are confident that nearly all of the water-affected rooms, with the exception of the fire room, will be habitable by the end of the day.”

Logan said all the students who were initially displaced by the fire, with the exception of those who lived in the actual room, returned to their rooms last night.

LSA freshman Lindsay Brentin, who lives in Fisher Hall and stayed in Markley during the break, said she heard the fire alarms and immediately opened her door to see what was happening.

“I looked down the hallway and there was water coming out from under the girl’s door,” Brentin said.

Brentin and her roommate let LSA freshman Karleigh Kroll, whose room suffered water damage, keep things in their room until the cleaning crew finished its work.

The sprinklers only went off in the room where the fire started, but large amounts of water seeped under the door, rolling down the stairwell and damaging rooms on multiple levels of the hall, Kroll said.

“The big thing for me is all my textbooks,” she said. “They were on the floor, so they’re pretty much done.”

Kroll slept in a friend’s room on the 3rd floor last night but said she believes she will be allowed back into her room around 5 p.m. tonight.

Logan said five of the six displaced students stayed with friends at other locations. The sixth student made arrangements with the Dean of Students Office to stay in another residence hall until the damage is repaired.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.