Famed film producer Spike Lee, known for films that deal with social and political issues like “Do the Right Thing” and “Malcolm X,” will be in town next month to speak at a conference hosted by a group of Business School students.

Lee is scheduled to give a keynote speech on Dec. 6 at the Marriott on South Huron Street during a convention held by the Black Business Student Association. The 33rd annual Alfred L. Edwards Conference runs from Dec. 4-7.

The decision to ask the acclaimed filmmaker to speak was a change for the group, as it usually brings in speakers from the business world.

“We thought it would be a nice change of pace to have our keynote address be from someone with a non-business background who could still provide invaluable insight about how each of us has something, interesting and unique to contribute to society,” BBSA co-chairs Jocelyn Butcher, Karima Holland and Michael Pittman wrote in a joint statement.

The Emmy-award winning and Academy Award-nominated Lee will be the lone “non-corporate speaker” at the conference, the group’s chairs said. The group said it has no plans to limit Lee’s speech to certain topics or issues.

“Spike Lee is the perfect example of someone who is building their legacy through film and philanthropic efforts,” they said of Lee, who also owns his own production company. “His films showcase and challenge cultural assumptions, which help to heighten everyone’s social and political understanding.”

The Alfred L. Edwards Conference, an annual event that helps to build relationships between students and alumni, aims to address current global, economic and corporate issues. This year’s theme is “Building Your Legacy: Achieving Personal, Professional and Philanthropic Success.”

The conference, which has been attended largely by BBSA members and alums in the past, is open to the public.