Research is often seen as a scientific art, and the published works of the University’s researchers have become a visual beauty in the Shien-Ming Wu Current Periodical Reading Room in the Shapiro Undergraduate Library.

As part of the University’s fifth annual Science Covers Celebration yesterday afternoon, 26 new journal and book covers featuring research from the LSA natural sciences departments and the School of Natural Resources and Environment were mounted on the walls of the reading room in front of about 40 authors, librarians and students who gathered to mark the occasion.

University Provost Philip Hanlon gave opening remarks at the event, explaining that the exhibit aims to encourage math and science reading.

“You look at this and you say, ‘I want to read about that; I want to open that,’” Hanlon said. “This display helps intrigue (students and) helps them want to learn about science and math.”

Attributing the display as a monument to continuous improvement, Hanlon also thanked Daisy Wu for her generous donations, which were a tribute to her late husband, Shien-Ming Wu, a former professor of engineering at the University.

Laurie Alexander, the associate University librarian for learning and teaching, was responsible for organizing the event and explained that the display will allow the libraries to further connect to University research.

“Research is central to the University libraries mission and it permeates our daily lives, yet we often don’t have the opportunity to gather to appreciate our contribution to the broader academic community,” Alexander said. “This event enables us to do so.”

Alexander added that she hopes students will find inspiration from the display as well.

“Say you’re a student here and you’re studying — why you’re here is on the wall,” Alexander said.

In her opening remarks, Alexander thanked Catherine Soehner, former director of the Shapiro Science Library, for her efforts in the display’s creation and initiating the project five years ago.

Sandra Arlinghaus, a professor in the School of Natural Resources and Environment, expressed excitement to see her own research, which is also published in Solstice: An Electronic Journal of Geography and Mathematics, hung in bright colors alongside her colleagues’ in the display.

“It’s like going to a museum,” said Arlinghaus.

Arlinghaus added that her research display includes QR codes, and she said she hopes students will use their smart phones to access her research and other scientific work.