The Michigan women’s field hockey team increased its winning streak to three after a 5-0 win against Ball State on Saturday.

The Wolverines secured their securing its third straight shutout.

“We had loads of shots and probably should have scored some more goals, but I think shooting has been a big aspect for us and defensively we have been playing really well,” sophomore forward Rachael Mack said.

The team used its win against Ball State to propel it into Sunday’s match against Boston University.

“We got pretty excited because we knew it was going to be a big game — they are ranked 14th, we are ranked 13th,” Mack said. “So we really mentally prepared for it, because we knew they were going to come out hard and we were at home as well, and we just wanted to proved ourselves to our crowd and we did that.”

The Michigan crowd came out in full force on Sunday afternoon to fill out the bleachers. The undeniable energy of the team mirrored the excitement of the crowd.

Sophomore forward Michelle Roberts scored her fourth goal of the season with a penalty corner five minutes into the game to give the Wolverines an early lead. Boston’s Andrea Green scored her team’s only goal to tie up the game and break senior goaltender Christi Barwick’s three-game shutout streak.

But the Wolverines responded quickly. Freshman midfielder Axelle Wouters retaliated with her first goal of the season to put Michigan ahead 2-1.

Intensity rose in the second half as the Terriers struggled to tie up the score, culminating in an official warning given to Boston for the increased physical nature of the game. Wouters followed up with a second goal, increasing Michigan’s lead to 3-1. Despite this rough push, the Terriers couldn’t keep up as a result of an aggressive Michigan defense led by Barwick.

Michigan will take this four-game winning streak into its Big Ten opener at Ohio State on Friday.

“We are ready for the Big Ten,” Michigan coach Marcia Pankratz said. “This was a good game for us today. We played quick, I think we’re fit, gaining confidence week to week and we are ready for the Buckeyes next weekend.”

The team knows it has the ability to equalize any level of intensity during its trip to Columbus this week.

“Both teams have a lot to offer,” senior backfielder Hannah Dawson said. “It’s going to be a really tough and exciting game. It’s going to be really intense. And it’s Ohio State Michigan, so you can’t go wrong there.”