The No. 14 Michigan field hockey team channeled the excitement of the many alumni that came to Ann Arbor to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the 2001 team that won the first NCAA championship of any women’s sports team at Michigan.

Iowa 0, Michigan 2

After the Wolverines were defeated in their Big Ten opener by Ohio State last weekend, they back with a 2-0 win against No. 12 Iowa on Saturday.

“They all wanted to come back to celebrate such an awesome season and such an awesome happening for Michigan and women athletics in general,” said senior goaltender Christi Barwick.

With more than 50 alumni cheering on the team, Michigan started strong, spending most of its time on offense. Michigan had seven corner opportunities in the first half. Freshman Aline Fobe managed to score from the top of the circle on the fifth corner with an assist from senior Bryn Bain.

The second and final goal of the game didn’t come until 25 minutes into the second half, when freshman Axelle Wouters scored her third goal of the season over the left side of Hawkeyes goaltender Kathleen McGraw, with an assist from sophomore Ansley McCallister.

Michigan (1-1 Big Ten, 8-3 overall) dominated the game outshooting the Hawkeyes 11-5 along with an 8-3 advantage on corners.

“After last weekend not going how we wanted it to, playing against Iowa — they are a very strong team, it is always an emotional, very competitive game,” Barwick said. “We saw that definitely as a must win.

“Ohio State was a frustrating loss, I mean its never fun to lose, especially the first Big Ten game, but beating Iowa was really good. We needed that.”

Barwick had four saves for her second shutout of the season and the fourth of her career. Barwick is second in the Big Ten and eighth in the nation with a 1.20 goals-against average. Her save percentage is also fourth in the Big Ten at .759.

“I think next week, when we play Northwestern and then when we have Penn State in two weeks, we are really going to be ready — really mentally prepared,” Barwick said. “We have a lot of stuff to work on still, there’s always things to improve upon, but this definitely was the right momentum and was a good kick start for us to really take the Big Ten season head on,”

The Wolverines will take this momentum to Evanston next weekend, where they will play Northwestern and Yale.