To commemorate the first National Championship by a women”s team in Michigan history, the Michigan Athletic Department will host a celebration in honor of the field hockey team this afternoon at 2 p.m. in Cliff Keen Arena.

The 51st team national title in Michigan history came Sunday afternoon when No. 7 Michigan upset No. 1 Maryland in Kent, Ohio. The 2-0 victory capped off the Wolverines impressive run through the NCAA Tournament.

This was Michigan”s second appearance in the national championship game in the past three years. The Wolverines exacted revenge this season on the Terrapins, who beat Michigan 2-1 in the 1999 title game.

Upsets carried Michigan through the tournament this year as it defeated No. 6 Princeton last Friday en route to the title game. The Wolverines also upset No. 4 North Carolina at home in first round action and intrastate rival Michigan State to advance to the Final Four.

The athletic department will honor players and coaches as they will speak on their experiences and memories from this season.

With each game in the tournament having a different heroine, the athletic department will have plenty of players to praise in the celebration.

Becoming the only player to score in both of Michigan”s championship game appearances, Jessica Rose scored the final goals of both games. Her first put Michigan on the board in 1999 and her second sealed the victory Sunday.

Senior goalkeeper Maureen Tasch played an outstanding tournament capped off by her shutout in the final game where she had 11 saves to give a high-powered Maryland team a goose egg on the scoreboard. Tasch in four games had 30 saves on 35 shots on target.

With two assists in the title game and the assist on the game-winning overtime goal against Michigan State, sophomore defender Kristi Gannon figured into three of the biggest plays of the Michigan season.

Helping Michigan get past North Carolina and Princeton was sophomore April Fronzoni who recorded four goals in those two games, including her fourth career hat-trick against the Tar Heels and the game-winner against Princeton.