It’s spring, almost summer, and you’re bored. Nobody is around anymore, so the remaining few cram into yuppie Kerrytown bars with the hope of creating timeless memories or getting laid (or a combination of the two).

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your hangover speaking. There is another way, another path to summer splendor. The great culture machine that calls itself Ann Arbor doesn’t sleep when the weather gets warm. But it is, perhaps, a little more subdued.

If you ever heard of the Michigan Union poetry slams during the school year, but wondered where it all went, then head over to The Heidelburg this Tuesday for the Ann Arbor Poetry Slam, which includes an open mic for all you budding beatniks. It’s only $5, and if you still feel the need to imbibe, there are three bars in as many floors at the joint.

In that same poetic vein, next Wednesday at 7 p.m., Shaman Drum will host a Persian poetry reading provided by David and Sabrineh Fideler. The two will translate and perform traditional Sufi poetry, at times accompanied by various musical instruments.

Film – in all its shapes and sizes – is a regular in the heart and mind of Ann Arbor that isn’t limited to national blockbusters. “Barry Harris: The Spirit of Bebop” is showing tonight at 7 p.m. at the Ann Arbor District Library. If you have any notion of the words Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonius Monk or Charlie Parker (or even if you don’t), this documentary, lasting only 55 minutes, is a not only a must see, but it also will cost you nothing.

If jazz isn’t your thing, then The Beatles must be (or you’re just crazy). “A Hard Day’s Night,” originally released in 1964, will take you through a day in the iconic life of The Beatles. It’ll be at The Michigan Theater on June 11 and 13. Don’t wear your Stones shirt.

The Michigan Theater will forever lead the charge in keeping old favorites alive and kicking. “Hoop Dreams,” Steve James’s heavily lauded 1994 documentary following two inner-city Chicagoans in pursuit of the NBA dream, goes up June 15 at 7:15 p.m, “Jaws,” which needs no words of explanation, will be shown on the 18 and 20 as an installment of The Michigan Theater’s Summer Classic Film Series. Alongside scaring the shit out of you, it will help us find comfort in the fact that we are hundreds of miles away from either ocean.

He might have looked bored throughout “The Da Vinci Code,” but Tom Hanks’s work in 1988’s “Big” will remind you that the man used to churn out great movies. It goes up June 19 at Ingalls Mall (in front of Rackham Building near Burton Memorial Tower) and is, to put it simply, free.

For you artsy-fartsy types (hey, I’m one of ’em), the University’s Museum of Art will host [this Thursday] internationally acclaimed pianist Louis Nagel who is set to perform pieces by Bach, Beethoven and Liszt. Completely free, this event will be one of the last held in the UMMA before it undergoes its upcoming massive renovation.

There you have it, folks. A digestible sampler of things to do that does not involve drinking (unless you so desire, you lush). And of course, there is plenty more where it all came from. Take a girl, a guy, take you. Your liver (and soul) will thank you.