This past weekend, six members of the Michigan women’s track and field team made the trip to South Bend for the Alex Wilson Invitational to take a final shot at qualifying for the NCAA Championships, which take place this weekend. But of the six athletes, only one was able to provisionally qualify for the championship meet.

Sophomore Theresa Feldkamp ran a provisional time in the 800-meter run for the second time this season with a fourth-place finish of 2:07.86.

The time topped her previous season-best mark of 2:08.32, her other provisional time from earlier in the season. Coincidentally, she earned both marks on the same track, with the first one coming at the Meyo Invitational, Feb. 7-8.

Because she was unable to post an automatic qualifying time, Feldkamp and her coaches will have to wait until tonight to find out if her provisional time was low enough to give her a chance to compete in the national championships.

“We won’t know until (tonight), but we’re planning to take her in any case,” head coach James Henry said. “She ran her personal best. She’s a young kid, she works very hard and she deserves a chance to go.”

Feldkamp, who usually crosses the finish line after Michigan’s top 800-meter runner — senior tri-captain Rachel Sturtz — was pleased with her performance, but not astounded.

“I had already had a provisional time very early in the season, so it wasn’t really a big deal,” Feldkamp said. “I was happy to get a new personal-best time. It was a good way to end the indoor season and go into the outdoor season.”

Henry has many expectations from this young athlete and sees her performance as an indicator of what to expect in the future.

“She’s done really well for us over the first couple years,” Henry said. “I think she’s going to be an outstanding athlete, not just for the outdoor season, but for the next few years.”

Feldkamp will join her teammates this weekend, as Michigan will be sending six Wolverines to Fayetteville, Ark. to compete in the NCAA Championships.