Fashion, turn to the left.

Finally — a Derek Lam carnation-print tote for change.

Earlier this year, the Obama campaign arranged for 20 top fashion designers to create pieces for the Barack Obama presidential effort, which should be available this month on the campaign website. Contributing designers include Lam, Tracy Reese, Charles Nolan and Diane von Furstenberg, and there were murmurings of Russell Simmons and Michael Bastian pieces too — but you’ll have to keep checking barackobama.com for any khaki suits to confirm. (Smart way to drive up page views, Obama camp.)

Reportedly, designers had less than a week to commit to the project, present a sketch for approval and then deliver a sample. The campaign told designers they were free to use Obama’s image and “O” logo.

Some ideas didn’t make it past the approval desk, such as Reese’s vision of an “Obama dress” — a one-shouldered silk georgette day dress, for about $400.

“I thought it would be nice for Michelle,” Reese told the Washington Post.

Sadly, the idea was nixed. Reese’s contribution, instead, is a long-sleeved appliqué t-shirt, retailing for about $80. (Think Lucky Brand.)

But the foundation of the collection — as with any political campaign — is comprised of t-shirts and tote bags. Besides the Lam-designed muslin bag (featuring a silk-screened carnation from his 2004 collection, reworked in red, white and blue with the words “A fresh start: Obama ’08”), the DVF bag features Obama’s words printed on it.

Fun facts for Democratic unity ’08: wrap-dress queen DVF was formerly a stalwart Clinton supporter, and Lam created the inaugural outfit for first daughter Barbara Bush in 2005.