Stand-up comedian Mike Birbiglia has appeared on notable comedy programs like “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and “The Late Show with David Letterman,” but tonight he’ll be telling jokes at the Michigan Theatre.

Birbiglia is coming to Ann Arbor as part of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity’s seventh annual comedy night. Proceeds from the event will benefit Michigan Reach Out!, a local mentoring program and the Ann Arbor Alpha House, a homeless shelter. In addition to ticket sales, the brothers in PIKE have been fundraising for the charities through smaller events and donations from local businesses.

So far this semester, the members of PIKE have raised about $2,500 and Daniel Joseph, the chair for the event, said they hope to raise about $17,000 through ticket sales.

Joseph said Birbiglia is the biggest comedian to perform in the event’s history and the brothers chose him because they believe his name recognition will bring in more money.

“He is an unbelievable comedian. He has been on Comedy Central… (He is) only costing us $17,000, which sounds like a lot but his name sells,” he said.

Joseph added that he expects this year’s comedy night to best those of previous years.

“Every year, it has gotten bigger and bigger,” he said. “We are expecting it to blow the other ones out of the water”.

Joseph added that he expects about 1,000 to 1,200 tickets to be sold before the show.