Every fall, University students are welcomed back to not only their classes, exams and extra-cirriculars, but also a phenomenal selection of fine arts events. From classical music, to plays, to musicals, to dance shows, Ann Arbor and the Metro-Detroit area host some of the world”s finest artists and performers. Take a look at what”s going on for fall 2001.

Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra will rock Hill.<br><br>Courtesy ofUMS

University Musical Society: Ann Arbor”s premier outlet for International superstars boasts one of its strongest seasons in recent years. This year”s lineup includes the British theatrical sensation, “Shockheaded Peter,” opening next week at the Michigan Theater. Using giant puppets, Cabaret-style music and a Victorian setting, the show portrays various children”s stories in a humorous manner.

The month of October features the performances of the Liz Lerman Dance Exchange, the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis as artistic director and the piano works of Evgeny Kissin.

November includes an evening of short films with live music by the Philip Glass Ensemble and several classical music performances, including those by the Netherlands Chamber Choir and violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter.

December”s biggest highlight will certainly be the performance of Handel”s “Messiah” by the UMS Choral Union and the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra.

Read about upcoming events at http://www.ums.org

University Productions: University Productions, which presents works by the department of Theater and Drama, has a fantastic fall season planned. The season opens in early October with Bertolt Brecht”s “The Good Person of Szechwan,” which questions the ability to be righteous and moral in today”s competitive, greedy world. October also features the 1920s hit comedy musical, “Good News!” which celebrates college life and romance.

November includes two dramatic pieces, “The Consul,” an opera by Gian Carlo Menotti, and “The Secret Rapture,” by David Hare. The fall semester closes with “The Grapes of Wrath,” adapted from John Steinbeck”s great novel. Read about upcoming events at http://www.theatre.music.umich.edu/uprod/uprod.html

Museum of Art: The UMMA is constantly recognized for its terrific permanent collection, as well as its array of thought-provoking exhibits. Of particular interest are Donald Sultan”s exhibit, “The Smoke Rings,” a print and photography collection of the symbolic gesture of smoke, and Albert Kahn”s “Inspiration for the Modern,” a collection of the artist”s drawings of factories and other symbolic edifices of industrial America. The Japanese Gallery, as well, is also worth a look for some wonderful woodblock prints.

Read about upcoming events at http://www.umich.edu/umma

Metro-Detroit: If traveling to the Metro-area, be sure to catch a show at one of Detroit”s fine arts havens, including the Fox, the Fisher, the Masonic Temple and the Detroit Opera House. World-renowned violinist Itzhak Perlman joins the Detroit Symphony Orchestra as principal guest conductor, and will also perform as a soloist in “Perlman Plays Vivaldi,” running November 7th-10th at Orchestra Hall.

“Tango Pasion,” comes to the Detroit Opera House from Sept. 20-23, and features a 30-member dance troupe performing to Argentinian rhythms. “Burn the Floor” comes to the Fox Theater from September 26-30, and Ann-Margret comes to the Fisher as the star of “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.”