University faculty received an average salary increase of 5.1 percent last year, more than the average increase for executive officers, deans and staff members, according to figures released yesterday.

Salaries for the 13,441 members of the University”s staff increased an average of 4.1 percent, the lowest among the four categories. Executive officers received average merit-based raises of 4.6 percent and deans saw merit-based pay increases this year averaging 4.7 percent.

“Part of what we”re doing is making sure the faculty understand their importance and that they”ll be supported here at Michigan,” said Marilyn Knepp, associate vice president for the University budget, planning and administration. “Both the faculty increases and the staff increases capture our commitment to the people here.”

A 5 percent increase in President Lee Bollinger”s salary makes him the sixth highest-paid employee at the University and the highest-paid outside of the Medical Campus.

Bollinger will earn $326,550 during the current academic year, up from $311,000 last year. Previously, he had the seventh-highest salary.

Vice President for Medical Affairs Gil Omenn”s 2000-2001 salary of $556,973 is once again the highest at the University, with University Hospitals Executive Director Larry Warren, Surgery Department Chair Lazar Greenfield, Thoracic Surgery Prof. Mark Orringer and Cardiac Surgery Prof. Edward Bove rounding out the top five.

Head football coach Lloyd Carr”s salary of $278,000 is the ninth highest at the University. But coupled with $46,000 in bonuses and $475,000 from athletic apparel contracts and other revenue, Carr”s pay will be $808,000, said Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations Bruce Madej.

The lowest-paid employee is Bill Martin, who refused to be paid when appointed to replace Tom Goss as athletic director last fall. Martin is returning what would have been a $250,000 salary this year to the Athletic Department budget, Madej said, but will accept his pay next year. Goss earned $280,500 in his final year at the University the 10th highest salary on campus.

LSA Dean Shirley Neuman received an increase of 17.8 percent, to $265,000, surpassing Provost Nancy Cantor to become the University”s highest-paid woman.

Neuman ranks 17th overall, and Cantor, who ranks 19th, will earn $263,670. Pay raises for all deans are set by Cantor.

Knepp attributed Neuman”s raise to the scope of her job and to Cantor”s desire to bring the dean”s salary in line with many of her colleagues.

“In her first year here, she really showed leadership in our largest college that it warranted such an increase,” Knepp said.

One of the largest increases among the University”s 13 executive officers” salaries went to Vice President for Development Sue Feagin.

Feagin”s 7 percent raise was due to her role in the University”s upcoming fundraising campaign, which is set to begin next year. “Susan”s position during this time is going to be quite significant,” said University spokeswoman Julie Peterson.

Meanwhile, a 3 percent raise for Omenn was the lowest among the executive officers. “He wanted to be in line with what they were able to give everyone else in the Health System,” Peterson said.

Bollinger establishes the salaries for all executive officers except himself, whose pay increases are approved by the Board of Regents.

Peterson said the average raises for staff members and the 2,256 faculty are roughly comparable with those at universities nationwide. The difference between faculty and staff increases, Peterson said, is that many faculty members receive promotions during the year while most staff members remain in the same capacity over several years.

Factors such as generous state appropriations and a record amount of fundraising revenue combined to allow modest salary increases, Peterson said. “All the things that create a healthy financial picture for the University were in place last year.”