It’s a University-wide policy that professors submit their final grades within 72 hours of giving their final exams, but University administrators don’t enforce the policy. Instead, the deans of individual schools are charged with making sure professors get their grades in on time.

Alan Deardorff, associate dean at the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, said he has no written list of punishments, but if a faculty member repeatedly submits grades late, he said he would sit down with that person to see how to meet the deadline. He added that he hasn’t seen any problems with the system so far.

“We haven’t had problems with it that I’m aware of,” he said.

Deardorff said the Ford School has a large staff that can helps ensure grades are processed quickly.

“We care a great deal about whether (students) get their grades in a timely fashion,” he said.

Deardorff said that a reminder of the policy is sent to faculty prior to the exam periods and that staff monitor to make sure grades are submitted.

Deardorff said any delay in grades typically results from professors thinking they submitted grades when they hadn’t. Staff then help process the grades.

“This doesn’t mean that all the grades get in under the 72-hour deadline,” he said. “A lot of our courses involve papers rather than an exam, and papers could take quite a while to grade if you do it well.”

University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham said that although each school has direct responsibility for enforcing their own policies, central administration helps schools ensure that grades are submitted on time.

“U-M faculty grading procedures are administered in academic units, schools and colleges, rather than by central administration,” she said in an e-mail interview. “However, central administration joins the units in encouraging faculty to meet the grade submission deadline each semester.”