About a week ago, University President Mary Sue Coleman accepted a 4-percent raise that set her base salary at $553,500.

Coleman has been offered a pay raise every year since taking the position in 2002, but the decision is not an automatic one.
It is the end result of an annual review that begins with the University Board of Regents.

The Personnel, Compensation and Governance Committee — currently consisting of regents Andrew Richner (R-Grosse Pointe Park), Julia Darlow (D-Ann Arbor) and S. Martin Taylor (D-Grosse Pointe Farms) — develops its recommendations regarding salary after reviewing the work and performance of the president.

They also look at market comparison data, including salaries of presidents of at other public and private universities.

Following this review, the chair of the committee presents findings to the entire Board of Regents along with a recommendation.

If a regent seconds the motion, the entire board takes a vote.
Coleman’s salary consists of deferred compensation, retirement pay, a retention bonus and an expense account.

In a survey conducted by the Chronicle of Higher Education last year, Coleman ranked sixth among the highest compensated public University presidents.

In an e-mail statement, University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham said Coleman’s recent salary increase “its full, unqualified support for President Coleman.”