For the past 15 years, Roaring Spring Paper Product Company has provided most of the blue books on campus. Three years ago, the company introduced a new product: the green book — a more environmental friendly version of the blue book.

Despite campus’s taste for green products, Women’s Studies lecturer Michelle McClellan said that most students in her class still opt for the blue option.

“It’s probably about one-third green books and two-thirds blue books at this point,” she said. “If anything, I prefer green books.”

If green books, which are made from 30 percent recycled paper, are better for the environment then why don’t more students use them?

One reason could be cost. Green books cost 70 cents, which is slightly more than their blue brother, which cost 65 cents at the Michigan Union bookstore.

“I like the idea of green books, and I’m willing to pay the extra five cents or whatever for it,” LSA junior David Keegan said.

LSA senior Miesha Merati said that given the choice, and “given that green books are more recycled — I’d rather buy green books.”

Jim Lucey, general manager for Roaring Spring Paper Product Company, said the move towards “greener” products came from consumers.

“There’s a pretty big demand for recycled products,” he said.

Some professors now urge their students to use green books, but don’t require it.

“My Philosophy of Global Justice class recommended we use green books,” LSA sophomore Mary Van Houten said.

Lucey said there are no current plans to phase out production of blue books in favor of green books. He said such a decision would depend on whether consumers bought green books at a greater rate than blue books.

Right now that’s just not the case, he said.