Sports video games are often a common source of trash talk between players, but fans of the “NCAA Football” video game series can get a chance to prove their mettle in person when the EA Sports NCAA Football Challenge Tour comes to Palmer Field today.

h4>”NCAA Football 2010″ Challenge
1 p.m Today at Palmer Field
Free

The event is sponsored by Sony and EA Sports and presented by Best Buy, and has toured college campuses since early October. According to Jay Kennedy, the EA spokesperson for the event, it will feature 20 open PlayStation 3 kiosks featuring LCD screens on which the public can try out “NCAA Football 2010.” The event also features several giveaways.

Players can also register to participate in the NCAA Football Challenge, which pits students against each other in an “NCAA Football 2010” tournament. The tournament follows a single-elimination structure, whittling down the competition until one winner stands above the rest.

The University of Michigan champion will earn a trip for two to Pasadena, Calif. for the Rose Bowl and later compete against the finalists from the 13 other schools involved in this year’s challenge. Also going to the winner will be a PlayStation Portable, which could be worth more to a die-hard Wolverine than the Rose Bowl trip.

“We have a custom, laser-etched Michigan PSP,” Kennedy said. “It’s the only one on the planet.”

The one-of-a-kind PSP is maize and blue and sports a block ‘M’ on the back along with the official NCAA logo.

The winner of the final tournament earns a $10,000 prize. According to Kennedy, the competition in Pasadena should be fierce.

“We’ve got great winners from each of the campuses we’ve been to so far,” he said.

Registration starts at noon, and the tournament begins at 1 p.m. There is a limited number of spots available, and team selection is on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone wanting to represent the Wolverines this year should be sure to get there early.