Katie Erdman didn’t just bring two state track titles to Michigan – she even brought her own fan club.

Erdman is a freshman from Cadillac who won the Division 2 state title in the mile and 800 meters last spring. She impressed Nick Touran of nearby Petoskey so much during high school that he created a fan club last May.

Touran said that his friends first pointed Erdman out to him because she resembled his girlfriend. After Erdman caught Touran’s eye, he and his buddies became her personal fans when she beat the best runner from their school. This victory jump-started the fan club, which can be found at katie.pwf1.com/.

Touran “was on another team that was in my conference, so it started last spring and they put posters up at a meet,” Erdman explained. “I met them later that day, so that was kind of weird.”

Now that both are freshmen at Michigan, they occasionally run into each other on campus. Touran said Erdman is friendly toward him, and he is glad she does not feel awkward about the fan club.

“She is really nice about it,” Touran said. “She will say, ‘Hey, how are classes?’ It is not too weird, but I am embarrassed about it.”

As for his old girlfriend who resembles Erdman, Touran said that he is still seeing her. But, because she is still in high school, there is some jealousy now that her look-a-like and Touran go to school together.

“Over Christmas break we actually had the ‘Katie Erdman talk,'” Touran said. “She isn’t too thrilled. But we talked about it, and I reassured her that (Erdman) is just a celebrity. I actually compared it to her making a fan club for Brad Pitt.”

The web site claims that even some of her teammates are part of the fan club. It is little wonder why; at the intrasquad meet a month ago, Erdman set meet records in the 800 and 1,200 meters. Making the 800-meter record even more impressive was the fact that Erdman outran record holder Rachel Sturtz, who is a three-time Big Ten Conference champion in the event.

This Saturday at The Jack Harvey Invitational, Michigan will begin its run toward the Big Ten Triple Crown, which consists of the cross-country conference title, the indoor track title and the outdoor track title in the same school year. The Michigan women currently possess all three titles, but they need to repeat the indoor and outdoor titles this year to complete the Triple Crown because the three titles came in the same calendar year, not the same school year.

Erdman will have to start her Michigan career without her biggest fan in attendance, as Touran said that he has already made plans for Saturday.

“I am not going to be able to make it to that one, sadly,” Touran said, adding that he would “take some friends down (to a future meet).”