Scenes of space battles between Rebel X-Wings and Imperial Tie Fighters have been imprinted on the minds of our entertainment savvy generation. Simultaneously, these sci-fi images cater to the white majority while ignoring minority interests.

The numerous characters in the “Star Wars” universe are ruled by the human species, more specifically white males. Two of the main characters of the saga, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, epitomize the image of a narrative genre severely lacking in social diversity.

The grandiose award ceremony following the Battle of Yavin illustrates the problem at hand. Hundreds of militant rebels stand at attention, not a non-white face in the crowd, applauding the medals given to space crackers Luke and Han.

After the glaring omittance of minorities in “A New Hope,” creator George Lucas wisely put a minority in a supporting role for the next installment, “The Empire Strikes Back.” Billy Dee Williams played Lando Calrissian, a space-age pimp with a suave mustache and flowing blue cape. His ghetto was the picturesque Cloud City, a sterilized villa filled to the brim with Ugnaughts and ethnic security guards.

Calrissian never grew out of the supporting moniker. His appearance in “Return of the Jedi” may seemed to have expanded the role of the man, yet he still served a supplemental position in the Rebel Alliance even with his newly acquired title of General.

Never was racism more evident than in “Return of the Jedi” during the climactic space battle. The first rebels to perish are an Asian, an African-American and a husky pilot. Meanwhile, the Caucasian pilots slay numerous Imperial ships with some fancy flying. Is this how the rebels define equality?

There is only one way to kill a white person in “Star Wars” without offending the ticket paying majority, slap on white body armor and snazzy looking helmets and call them Stormtroopers. In doing so, Lucas makes the audience comfortable by labeling these unnamed soldiers “the enemy.”

The societal turmoil of humans in “Star Wars” are inconsequential when compared to the ills faced by non-human characters. Prior to entering the Mos Eisley Cantina, white knight Obi-Wan Kenobi declares “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.” As the characters enter the seedy bar, a pan reveals the eclectic montage of bizarre aliens. The proclamation reveals the Jedi Master”s lack of appreciation for the Cantina regulars, most of who are non-human.

Wicket, Chief Chirpa, Logray and the rest of the tree dwelling Ewoks are relegated to throwing spears at Imperial scouts in the forests of Endor. Their assistance is paramount in the battle against the Empire, yet Rebel humans look down on the furry creatures as a primitive species.

Perhaps the most disturbing relationship in the “Star Wars” saga is between the stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder Han Solo and his devoted accomplice Chewbacca. The epic master-slave relationship highlights the superiority of humans in the “Star Wars” universe. Close analysis of the award ceremony reveals Chewbacca, although standing alongside Han and Luke in front of the uniformed mass, does not receive the honorary medal bestowed on his friends. Civil rights tossed right outside the Millennium Falcon window.

Going further down the civil liberties ladder, droids have few if any rights in the universe fought between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire. To illustrate this theory, we must go back to the Cantina on Tatooine. “We don”t serve their kind,” utters the bartender as C-3PO and R2-D2 come in with their human counterparts. If the aliens are “scum and villainy” what does that make droids?

The Rebel Alliance is no better than the evil Empire it so vehemently opposes. Until Asian pilots earn medals, Chewbacca gains his freedom and R2-D2 can enter the Mos Eisley Cantina unoccosted, civil rights in the Rebel Alliance will remain a galaxy far, far away.