UNITED NATIONS (AP) – The outcome of this week’s U.N. summit to tackle poverty and overhaul the United Nations administration was thrown into question yesterday because of serious disagreements over the document that world leaders are supposed to adopt.After a weekend of lengthy talks by a negotiating group of about 15 countries, several ambassadors said there definitely would be a document – but it would be far less sweeping and ambitious than the blueprint called for by Secretary-General Kofi Annan last March.With some leaders already in New York for tomorrow’s opening of the three-day summit, ambassadors were still wrestling with the text of the latest 39-page document on revamping the United Nations to meet the challenges of the 21st century.Mark Malloch Brown, the secretary-general’s chief of staff, sought to put an optimistic cast on the situation, saying negotiations seemed more favorable than a few days ago because “deadlines are starting to loosen minds and positions.””There’s a threshold where we always knew we wouldn’t get the full loaf,” he added. “We’ve got to start counting slices. Half or more will do at this stage.”The seven issues facing negotiators were terrorism; a stronger Human Rights Council to replace the discredited Human Rights Commission; a new Peacebuilding Commission to help nations emerging from conflict; new responsibility for governments to protect civilians from genocide and war crimes; disarmament and nuclear weapons proliferation; overhauling U.N. management; and the promotion of economic development.Annan also had urged the 191 U.N. member states to agree on a plan to expand the powerful U.N. Security Council, but the negotiations became so contentious the idea was shelved last month.In the latest talks, a 32-nation “core” group broke into even smaller groups to try to come up with language that all member states could agree on.When negotiations stalled yesterday morning, some countries called for issues where there were still disagreements to be eliminated from the document.Faced with the prospect of human rights, peacebuilding and other key proposals being totally dropped if they weren’t agreed, Britain and other EU countries put together watered-down language that might get support from all member states.Those proposals were added to a revised 44-page text, which already had over 150 disputed passages.The “core” group was going over the draft line-by-line late yesterday, and the General Assembly scheduled a meeting today to take stock of the negotiations.”We’re going to be here as long as it takes,” said U.S. Ambassador John Bolton. “Reform is not a one-night stand. Reform is forever. That’s why we’re going to continue to work on it.”For many countries, which supported a strong forward-looking document, the prospect of a weak text was disappointing.”There’s been a lot of language which didn’t survive which could have led to a more forward-looking document,” said Brazil’s U.N. Ambassador Ronaldo Mota Sardenberg. “It’s very much a document which compiles ideas that were already there.”Chile’s U.N. Ambassador Heraldo Munoz said “we may have to go for the lowest common denominator, which is well below the expectation that Chile has, and many other countries, but perhaps that’s the reality.”The United States and some members of the Nonaligned Movement, representing 116 mainly developing countries, traded accusations about who was being inflexible.Richard Grenell, spokesman for the U.S. Mission to the United Nations, said after a morning session yesterday that negotiations on the Human Rights Council and U.N. management had “both fallen apart” – an assertion disputed by the ambassadors for India and Egypt, which are prominent voices in the developing world.The United States and many European countries want the Human Rights Council to become a permanent body, with a country’s membership requiring approval by two-thirds of U.N. nations. Grenell said Egypt and China opposed that Monday, and other diplomats said Russia did as well.”It’s obviously troubling for the United States because if violators are allowed to stay on, and it’s not a permanent body, then the human rights soap box is not a soap box at all,” Grenell said.Egyptian Ambassador Maged Abdelaziz said his country favored a council that would be a subsidiary body of the U.N. General Assembly and the latter should decide on criteria for membership.The United States also is disappointed many developing nations oppose giving the U.N. secretary-general stronger powers, a change sought by Annan and by the Western governments that are the biggest donors to the United Nations.