A reduced Michigan men’s track and field team hit the road this weekend.

While a portion of the squad stayed close to home to compete in the Eastern Michigan Invitational, the rest of the 15th-ranked Wolverines traveled to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete in the Tyson Invitational.

Several Wolverines had excellent individual performances in the non-scoring event.

Andrew Ellerton led Michigan with its only first-place finish of the two-day event.

The fifth-year senior won the 800-meter run championship, edging out Florida’s Eric Alberter with a time of 1:49.92, but fell short of the NCAA provisional time by .02 seconds. This was Ellerton’s second 800-meter win of the season.

“It would’ve been nice to run a bit faster but I was happy with how the race panned out,” Ellerton said.

Ellerton also teamed up with sophomore Andre Barnes, junior Dan Harmsen and senior Stan Waithe to place third in the 400-meter relay – just 2.83 seconds behind the first-place team from Barton Community (3:10.59).

Michigan enjoyed a third-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles thanks to senior Jeff Porter, whose 7.78 time was just a hundredth of a second slower than his personal best.

Sophomore Lex Williams set a personal mark at the invitational. The sophomore recorded an NCAA provisional time of 13:49.36 while finishing eight in the 5,000-meter run, shattering his previous best by more than 17 seconds.

Michigan also competed well in the field portion of the event. Up-and-coming sophomore Sean Pruitt placed fifth in the weight throw with a personal best of 63-4, a score that demolished his previous mark of 61-8 1/2 set earlier this season.

“The more I compete the better I get and the more confidence I have in my abilities,” Pruitt said following his impressive performance.

Finishing one spot below Pruitt was fifth-year senior Paul Sarantos with a score of 61-7 3/4.

Michael Whitehead, a senior jumper, finished 10th in the triple jump championship.

Whitehead was last week’s Big Ten Men’s Field Athlete of the Week.

Michigan will return home next week and compete as a full squad when it hosts the Harold Silverstein Invitational.