The Interfraternity Council, a governing body of some campus fraternities, elected LSA junior Jose Nunez as its next president last night in the Anderson Room of the Michigan Union.

Nunez is a political science major who previously held the position of Vice President of Social Responsibility, setting and enforcing the social policy that regulates and oversees social events like parties. He defeated Theta Chi President James Petrila for the presidency.

The president of the IFC acts as a liaison to the rest of the campus community and steers the IFC governing board. Most of the candidates – the nine other positions on the IFC executive board were also decided last night – said some of the most important issues facing the incoming IFC board are raising the social, recruitment and philanthropic standards for fraternity houses and boosting the image of Greeks on campus.

In an interview before the elections, Nunez, a member of Chi Psi, said he’d work at making the Greek system look better.

“Certainly our image within the community is always something really under attack, and that’s something that I’d like to see change,” he said.

Echoing that sentiment, Neil Tambe, who was elected executive vice president last night and is also a Michigan Daily columnist and a member of the paper’s editorial board, said he hopes to improve the relationship between the Greek system and the Daily.

Michigan Student Assembly President Zack Yost, in attendance to speak on behalf of Tambe, said Tambe was one of the best connectors on campus, bringing together several different groups of people.

LSA junior Alan Mitteer, a Delta Chi member, ran and lost against Tambe for the vice presidency but later ran and was elected as the judicial vice president, the position that acts as chief justice of the IFC and deals with rule violations. He said the IFC has a long way to go in terms of the policies that govern fraternity actions. He said the IFC would be stronger if it began enforcing some of the rules that have become defunct.

“I think the biggest problem about these sanctions is that we actually don’t abide by the social policy,” he said.

Mitteer also said there is a need for better-run hazing task force programming, which are anti-hazing workshops that IFC members go through.

“It was an hour of blow-off because it was run by our peers,” he said.

The president of each of the 27 IFC fraternities votes on the candidates after each candidate makes a speech and answers questions.

LSA junior Cole Portney, a member of Phi Kappa Psi, said the IFC has done a good job promoting the Greek system on campus. He said an important issue for the next board to tackle is increasing unity among fraternities on campus.

“They should be planning ways to foster better interfraternal relations, like maybe planning events for different houses to partake in,” he said.