Well, it”s about that time of year again. It”s wintertime, which is otherwise known to Michigan residents as the most dreaded four months of the year. Students here at the University hold this hatred of winter especially close to their hearts. While our friends at Florida State and University of California Los Angeles sport beachwear to classes all year round, we gleefully pile on 17 layers of clothing plus a coat and then proceed to walk for 30 seconds from East Hall to Dennison. A lecture during winter semester is simply not complete without a mass of coughing, sniffling students, the majority of whom are barely coherent enough to realize exactly which lecture he or she is even attending. The “winter blues” have arrived, and they are taking their toll on students all over campus.

Moira Kelly and D. B. Sweeney star in “”The Cutting Edge.””<br><br>Courtesy of MGM

Participation in winter sports, like ice skating or skiing, is a great way to relieve the feelings of lethargy and depression that one may feel during this time of year. Many people, however myself included are far too lazy to actually venture outdoors in the cold, much less participate in athletic activities. So, for these “motivationally challenged” people (“lazy” is certainly not a PC term), I suggest another option: Watching winter movies. More specifically, movies about people doing those winter activities that you were too lazy to engage in yourself.

Perhaps the greatest film of this type is 1992″s “The Cutting Edge.” It features Moira Kelly as Kate Mosley, a stuck-up professional figure skater. At the 1988 winter Olympics in Calgary, she takes a nasty fall mid-performance, spoiling both her routine and her dreams of skating stardom. At the same time, hockey player Doug Dorsey (D.B. Sweeney) suffers an eye injury during a game, ruining his chances at a career in professional hockey. Mosley”s coach, Anton Pamchenko (Roy Dotrice), brings the two together in a figure skating pair, creating a duo that is heated and dynamic both on and off of the ice.

Throughout the movie, the chemistry between the two characters is nearly unparalleled. Although they come from completely different worlds Doug is from a small town in Minnesota and Kate from an upper-class, east coast family this movie illustrates the idea that opposites most definitely attract. While Kate outwardly appears to be pretty damn obnoxious, the insulting repartee between the two characters is definitely the best part of the movie. By the conclusion, her irritating personality can be overlooked, simply due to the fact that it stems from so many years of repressed sexual tension.

Kate does have a fiance named Hale, who is an employee of her father, but he is a tool. Its difficult to understand why she would even want to have a conversation with the guy, so much as marry him. It is no wonder that she gets drunk and throws herself at Doug.

Besides Hale, “The Cutting Edge” features a variety of strange characters: The Weidermans, two psychos that skate in Lederhosen during the national skating finals Lori Peckeroffski, a really 1980s-looking competitor who sleeps with Doug and Brian, Kate”s skating partner from the 1988 Olympics, who also tries to sleep with Doug. Although these characters (with the exception of Hale) do not necessarily play large roles in the film, they definitely make the film significantly more amusing.

If you are in the mood for a profound look at life, “The Cutting Edge” is not the film for you. From the beginning to the end, it is clichd and predictable but that is what makes it so appealing. The viewer wants Doug and Kate to be together: We want the sappy romantic ending that is so obviously unavoidable. However, for those readers who would sooner sleep on rusty nails than watch a romantic comedy, “The Cutting Edge” features some incredible athletes. It is a great movie to watch on those long winter days when you simply don”t feel like leaving your apartment or dorm room. It has action, romance, athletics and humor what more could a viewer want? Turn it on todaythat is, if you are not too “motivationally challenged” to get up and find the remote control.