Amid sunshine and temperatures in the 60s, students gathered to witness the University’s food publication Spoon’s first “Man vs. Spoon” eating competition fundraiser on the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity lawn Friday afternoon.

The event raised money for Spoon University’s team for MRelay—the University’s Relay for Life event, a 24-hour relay that raises money and awareness for cancer. The event raised more than $200, adding to their previously raised $1,000, according to LSA senior Jordan Korn, Spoon University business director.

“We wanted to do something fun that could be outside,” Korn said. “Since we’re a food-related website, it would be fun to do some kind of eating competition.”

Spoon University is in its first year at the University. The publication began at Northwestern University in 2012 and has chapters at 35 colleges nationwide.

At the event, the student-run publication also sold baked goods to raise money for its MRelay team. Three teams of two to four people competed in four rounds of eating competitions, racing to eat hot dogs, donuts, bananas and plates of whipped cream.

LSA sophomores Matt Gluck and Dana Abufarha won the food challenge, winning gift cards to Frita Batidos, Isalita and Mani Osteria.

“I definitely feel disgusting now but it was fun, it was worth it,” Abufarha said. “It was fun and I’m happy we did it. I’m proud of myself; I beat boys!”

Of the three teams that competed, many participants were AEPi brothers. Students watched and cheered as the participants gorged themselves on doughnuts and face-planted into plates of whipped cream.

“It’s definitely entertaining to watch boys be in an eating competition,” said LSA sophomore Nicole Axelowitz, a member of the Spoon University public relations team.

However, after a record-breaking winter, some students were just excited to enjoy the warmth.

“It’s great just being outside for the first time in months and having everybody happy and together and just doing something for good cause,” Axelowitz said.