The wind was blowing and the balls were flying out of the park at Ray Fisher Stadium for the Wolverines’ midweek matchup with Toledo.

Michigan (4-2 Big Ten, 19-11 overall) rode three early home runs to take a lead it would never relinquish, holding on to defeat Toledo 8-4 today. The Wolverines opened the scoring with back-to-back long balls in the home half of the first. Junior leftfielder Ryan LaMarre continued his hot play, lofting one just over the fence in right to drive in himself and freshman centerfielder Patrick Biondi.

Senior catcher Chris Berset followed with a long ball of his own, clubbing it off the black extension in center. Then, the Wolverines added two more runs in the second (including one on a solo shot by sophomore third baseman John Lorenz) to take a 5-1 lead.

The Rockets (21-10) were able to chase Michigan’s starter, junior right-hander Matt Miller, after just 3.1 innings, but senior left-hander Eric Katzman came in relief and shut Toledo down, allowing no runs in 5 innings. Junior right-hander Tyler Burgoon finished off the win, garnering a double play to end it.

Toledo scored two off Miller in the fourth to make the score 5-4, but Michigan came right back with two runs of its own in the fifth to seal the game.

The Wolverines return to action tomorrow at home against Bowling Green for another 3:05 start.