It’s not easy for today’s rock women. In order to snag some crucial buzz, indie girl bands have to be willing to play the part: the copious reverb of Brooklyn’s finest juxtaposed with an aesthetically pleasing vintage persona via Vivian Girls; Or L.A.-vibing lo-fi garage-grunge riffs melded with a hazy underground persona à la Pearl Harbor. Whatever the gimmick may be, if indie girl bands plan on making it big, it seems they better be willing to conform to a certain preconceived (or at least stereotypical) guise.

Dum Dum Girls

I Will Be
Sub Pop

If it’s any consolation, Dum Dum Girls — the name being an homage to The Vaselines’s album, Dum-Dum, and the Iggy Pop track “Dum Dum Boys” — definitely fits the latter bill. Sure, they don’t fill any conspicuously neglected void in California’s burgeoning fuzz-pop scene, but their endearingly-serrated throwback sound has still managed to make them queens of the L.A. lo-fi culture.

Dum Dum Girls’s debut album I Will Be is 30 minutes of addicting pop haze. Lead singer Dee Dee (who goes by her first name only), who describes the sound as a “blissed-out buzz saw” on Sub Pop’s website, wrote and recorded lead vocals for each track. The album is full of high profile collaborations including Nick Zinner’s (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) brilliantly brooding guitar riffs on “Yours Alone” as well as Crocodiles’s Brandon Welchez’s velvety vocals and guitar on duet “Blank Girl.”

Although Dee Dee first formed Dum Dum Girls as a solo project — she produced an impressive self-titled EP and a slew of shoegazy singles — she quickly decided to form a legitimate band and recruited three of her friends to turn her idle-rock hobby into a fervent career.

Both opener “It Only Takes One Night” and “Jail LA LA” wax the band’s take on badass femininity. Behind fuzzy synths and a gritty bass line, Dee Dee’s vocals become submerged in pounding reverb on the former. While “Jail LA LA” is an ’80s-vibing nostalgic treat where the girls cause a not-so-dainty ruckus — they get thrown in jail, grab their motorcycles and go on joy rides behind the coy chorus “Someone tell my baby / Or else he won’t know I need saving” — Dee Dee plays up her rebellious, cigarette-smoking demeanor. Like she’d ever really need saving.

But it’s not all about filthy guitar riffs. Concluding track “Baby Don’t Go” feels like the quintessential indie romance, complete with hints of yearning and soul spilling. Embedded within a slow acoustic backdrop, Dee Dee confesses, “I never had a mother / I hardly knew my dad / I’ve been in town for 18 years / You’re the only boy I’ve had.” Although corrupted by a sense of desperation, she whispers her lines with a seductive voice that yields an undeniable allure.

With I Will Be, Dum Dum Girls aren’t necessarily revolutionizing the lo-fi retro scene. Their sound is similar to L.A. lo-fi standards Nite Jewel, Best Coast and plenty of other gals — but that’s OK. Lovey balled “Rest of Our Lives” succinctly sums up their mission. “Oh baby let me take you for a ride for the rest of our lives”: These girls are in it for the long haul.