Last month, Owens Community College became the first school in Ohio to offer a drive-thru book exchange, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. Tents were set up to house textbooks, giving students the opportunity to buy and sell their used books without ever leaving their cars. Hoping to accommodate students from outside the area, Owens, primarily a commuter school, ran two traffic lanes through a parking lot to create a temporary outdoor bookstore. Over 600 vehicles drove through the tents.

Living in the library

Brown University sophomore Grant Gilles took library-living to another level, IvyGate blog reported. Gilles didn’t set foot outside a Brown University library for an entire week in an effort to win a housing contest where the prize is first pick in a dorm lottery. Installing himself in a basement study room, Gilles whiled away the hours watching television online and playing board games with friends. He said he hid his clothes and personal effects in an air vent, and told prying staff members that he was doing, “a performance-art piece on the gluttony of Brown students.”

Gilles, who filmed his stay and said he would submit the movie for the contest, hopes to move into a penthouse suite in the dormitory.

Toting Trash

In an effort to promote recycling and raise awareness about waste, eight students at Clarkson University in New York carried with them all of the non-recyclable waste they accumlated for five days straight, The Chronicle reported. The bulging trash bags weighed a total of 10 pounds and 30 gallons by the end of the week. The students were members of Clarkson’s Environmental Conservation Organization.

The group’s president, Madison Quinn, said she thought the exercise was thought-provoking and went smoothly, except when one student was accosted by a dining services employees who reprimanded her for a perceived attempt to steal food from the cafeteria.

Booster Bribes

In e-mails exchanged between University of Washington alumnus Edward Hansen and University of Washington president Mark Emmert, Hansen offered the University’s law school $200,000 for the dismissal of Athletic Director William Turner and football coach Tyrone Willingham, The Seattle Times reported. Hansen was upset over what was considered to be a disappointing season for the university’s football program.

While Willingham remains head coach, Turner stepped down in December, and Hansen said he plans to offer the school a $100,000, as half of his aims were fulfilled. Emmert had previously condemned the offer as “closely inappropriate.”